Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Saturday 23 June 2012

Fiestas and Siestas...for five days!!!!





Heaven ....... no work !!!

 

Alicante City is in fiestas until 25th June

Las HOGUERAS DE SAN JUAN
The city is alive a round the clock.
The Saint John Bonfires are to celebrate the arrival of the summer and the whole festival pays tribute to fire.
How do I explain the fiestas......the Spanish love a good fiesta for sure... and what do they consider a good fiesta here in Alicante...well music...food...drink...lots of socializing and over five days .....oh yes and fireworks lots of lots of fireworks. They live the night during fiesta week .....a siesta is a must every day because they go to the numerous street parties during the night which do not finish until 5:00am approx and then after that its off to drink hot chocolate and churros.

The bonfires are made up of enormous cardboard and wooden figures which are quite comical ,made to portray good humour but you get a lot of political ridicule involved in the theme of each hoguera. They are real works of art and cost thousands of Euros. They are paid by the members of the different guilds throughout all the year. Sr P pays his monthly subscription of course for the one built by his neighbourhood guild, every Alicantino does to keep the tradition alive.


 The Town Hall Bonfire always the first to be burnt.

 The queen of the fiesta, known as the “Beauty of Fire”, is chosen in May from among the candidates presented by a committee in each neighbourhood.  On 21 June the parade of musical groups and the various bonfire committees takes place, with their respective “beauties” and the maids of honour dressed in traditional costumes.
 The Queen of the Fiesta


 The following day there is a floral offering to the city’s patron saint, the Virgen del Remedio; and on 23 June there is the international folkloric dance parade, a colourful procession of dance troupes from all around the world.
In addition, every day at two in the afternoon from 20 to 24 June, there are firework displays in the Luceros square: the ear-splitting “mascletás”, which should be seen wearing ear-plugs because of the racket of the firecrackers and rockets. It is a racket too...but they love it. I've been once and that was enough for me...nearly suffocated on the smoke. And finally at midnight on 24 June is the “cremá” (burning), the high point of the fiestas. After a spectacular display of fireworks, the bonfires all over the city are set alight and blaze away amind a mass of people dancing and singing, while fire-fighters shower them with water in what is known as the “banyá”.

From 25 to 29 June there is a fireworks competition on the el Postiguet beach, and the historic centre of the town comes alive with a medieval market.Lots and lots of puppet shows and theatre performances in the parks for everyone especially for the children...and then I die of exhaustion while I float in the swimming pool!!!

Here is my granddaughter, participating in the procession presenting the floral offering  to the city's patron saint the Virgen del Remedio.
taken from a video clip so not very good photos I'm afraid


The dress is quite something.  Everyone buys their own costume but all the family help and every member has something stored away. I bought her bits and pieces towards it. The fan and the stockings which incidentally are white heavy wool stockings not socks but kept up with a garter ...in this heat... but the children put up with it ,they won't even consider being different. I suggested some cool light white tights but I was told "you don't understand Nana" !


The necklace my grand-daughter is wearing was on loan from my daughter's Aunt and it goes straight back because it belongs in their family.



This is the photo I really like. They started at 7:00pm and did not finish parading until 11.30pm. Cookie baby was one exhausted but very very happy little girl.


best get ready to go out!!!!

Hello to my new follower Uma at Creative Mau ....pop in and visit whenever you like! :-)

Amanda :-)

42 comments:

  1. Wow! I was getting exhausted just reading this post. I don't think I could keep up. What a week! The siesta part sounds really good too. Your granddaughter looks beautiful, just like a princess. I love her costume. When I lived in Santa Barbara, Calif. we had a fiesta similar to this that lasted a week. Lots of food, drink and activities (mostly drink haha). Thanks for sharing this tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grand-daughter looks beautiful. You must be really proud. It was really interesting hearing about the fiestas and I hope you all have a lovely time. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful girl she is. Enjoy your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous girl, you must be so proud! Enjoy the festivities!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy...have done that but leave the last couple of days to the rest of the population to enjoy....enough is enough :-)

      A x

      Delete
  5. What a cutie, and she's wearing such a gorgeous outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting post and I would definitely be up for chocolate and churros - who wouldn't? Your grand-daughter looks wonderful and the costume is incredible - what a lot of work must have gone into that xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo the other comments about your grand-daughter! How pretty she is in her costume and necklace! Enjoy the rest of the fiesta!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a week, it sounds magnificent, I love to hear about traditions, what a great thing to be part of. Your granddaughter is so pretty and the outfit looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy busy busy. Your granddaughter is very pretty!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hectic and hectic to get her ready on time and every pin in its place,

      A x

      Delete
  10. wow those huge figures are amazing :)

    looks like you had a great time!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are and pure works of art.....shame to burn them.

      A x

      Delete
  11. Amanda, It all sounds so fascinating. your Granddaughter is adorable and very focused on her job. Lovely post today, thank you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was Meredith she had to take great care not to bump onto the band in front of her and stop when she was told to stop....serious work that!!!

      A x

      Delete
  12. Looks and sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate

      Fun is an understatement....the city is heaving with frenetically jolly excitement. Its good to hear people laugh!

      A x

      Delete
  13. Sounds like great fun Amanda, your granddaughter is lovely bless her so pretty, hope you have a great time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda.....she had a fantastic time. I had a great time 2 and half days and then said enough was enough!!!

      Amanda ;-)

      Delete
  14. Wow - what a special day and your granddaughter looks gorgeous (and rather warm!) in that beautiful dress - lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was roasting hawthorn...the price to pay for being in the lime light

      A x

      Delete
  15. Hey Amanda, this sounds like an amazing time and lots of fun. I thought bonfires would've been a Winter thing....the cardboard/wooden figures are wonderful. Almost seems a shame to burn them.......

    You all must've been very proud of your granddaughter, she looks lovely in her costume.

    Sounds like you'll all need a holiday after the festivities are over....

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your granddaughter is beautiful and she looked gorgeous in her costume.I bet you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First two days were wonderful Anne...third my batteries needed replenishing and by the fourth I'd had it...the swimming pool seemed far more tempting.

      Amanda x

      Delete
  17. Hi Amanda
    Thanks for all your comments on my blog, I'm sorry for not getting round to reading more of yours sooner. What an interesting post, sounds amazing and your grand daughter looks incredible in her traditional costume. I love that traditions are embraced so well in European communities.
    Hope you have a great week ahead and yes, do get round to making a lavender/rice pocket, not only does it smell divine but it's very soothing on aching muscles and bones :o) xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Penelope
      Glad you were able to pop in and hope you'll visit again.
      I've bought the lavender and its making my study smell fab!

      Many thanks for your comments here.

      Amanda :-)

      Delete
  18. Hi Amanda,
    What an exciting post,every thing looks soo exciting and sunny and well, it's cold and wet here in Old blighty.......
    So your post was a little Sunshine for me!!
    A very pretty young lady too, you must be so proud!
    Wishing you a week full of kindness....
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Maria
    Glad you enjoyed this post and if it has brought some sunshine into your life then thats perfect!
    My only grand-daughter as yet Maria so proud isn't a big enough word for me :-)

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Amanda! There's an one more award for you in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent post, once again. Dear Cookie is gorgeous and so cute. She looks divine in the last photo.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi again Amanda! Always interesting to learn about another country's culture! I enjoy fiestas but I'm afraid of fireworks beacause of the accidents happen!
    Your grandaughter is so beautiful!
    Have a wonderful Thursday,
    Angeliki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Angeliki

      My mother was just the same...she had an accident when she was expecting and ever since then she was afraid of fireworks.

      Thanks for your comments

      A x

      Delete
  23. Such a great post to read and I learned a little bit too! I love the traditional dress/costume that your granddaughter has on in the picture. Hope you are well.
    Elyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an amazing lovely outfit Elyse but more suited to a chilly winter day than a boiling hot summer night however Cookie baby was determined so she stood it all very well.

      I'm fine thank you but so busy these last few days making up for the days I've had off. Tch!!!

      A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)