Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Lighter in text

This is going to be a light post...lighter in text and heavier in images.

This post is also for Pat at  Sunshine and sewing basket blog who particularly requested some photos of the processions.

I wanted to get these photos out to you as soon as possible of the different Holy week processions as they really are spectacular.   Unfortunately my new mobile phone with enhanced camera functionality ( the main reason I decided to buy a new mobile phone) is so enhanced that it is hiding its functionality from me at present therefore my own photos taken at the processions were rubbish!  I have therefore relied on these quite wonderful photos taken by a local photographer on Gente by Alicante

Preparing the floats outside of the Hermita de Santa Cruz situated below the Santa Barbara castle walls. This is the oldest area of the city.

The first float with the representation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus . The narrowest street in Alicante's old quarter and it is impossible to get more people into that street.


The main event,bringing Christ on the Cross down from the Hermitage. A very tricky descent and this float weighs a bomb. They are ducking here so the cross does not get entangled in the telephone wires. It is considered a privilege to be allowed to carry the Christ and very often handed down from father to son. The crucifix is taken to the cathedral and later returned to the hermitage. The climb back up all those steps is another impressive procession!

The Christ from Santa Cruz meets up with the Christ of the Sea at the door to the cathedral

The Holy week coming to an end and Christ Resurrected encounters Our Lady of Joy in the Town Hall square.


Look at the Virgin's cape!!!!


and the next event is "La Santa Faz"which is on 1st May this year. 




Amanda :-)



17 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these photos, it looks like a brilliant festival!

    And the weather sure looks good too!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them with us. I would love to be there in person to witness this someday.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fascinating.
    Thank you Amanda,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Thanks for sharing the photos, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow it looks amazing Amanda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos and colours x Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive!!!! Thank you for sharing,
    xxxxxxxx ale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an impressive display of fun and color and excitement! You're so lucky to get to participate.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant display, thanks for sharing. We have never ventured into the old part of Alicante, looks like an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what powerful gorgeous images

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks wonderful. It must have been special to be part of it. I'm a catholic and this means a lot to me thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fabulous to see and the Santa Cruz procession is one of the oldest in Alicante. Fantastic tradition!

      A x

      Delete
  12. Wow! Amazing photos of what looked like an incredible procession!
    Thanks for sharing Amanda, I hope all is well with you and that you had a great Easter.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Amanda! what a fabulous procession, the colours and festive atmosphere, just too amazing! How wonderful to be a part of an old tradition kept alive by the younger generations .... a special post, and thanks again!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love festivals and celebratings.....this one looked fabulous! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh WOW! How amazing to be able to be part of such a wonderful tradition! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing these with us, it's so fascinating to see these beautiful local traditions. My favourite blog post of the weekend so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)