Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Thursday 6 August 2020

Heritage make





KEEPING THE FLIES OFF

 
 

During a Mid June clean out, I found a card my niece in Point Vernon,Australia had sent to me asking me to crochet for her a jug/sugar bowl cover......that was years ago😞...and I had completely forgot about it !!!!πŸ™

As I felt pretty guilty about not doing that for her I tried to make the cover for her special.  I called it the three generation jug cover as I blended in bits of crochet made by my Mother,my Gran and myself. 
My Mother gave me a lot of bits and pieces from my Gran's crochet......some were unfinished makes. 
The hexagon centre was my Mother's,the centre flower was half done by my Gran...I completed it. 



 
My part was the edging in variegated Katia Jaipur fine cotton and adding the beads. 


 

I like to think that when Mum gave me her crochet bits bag a few months before she passed it was for a reason. I am convinced that they would both be pleased that I have shared their crochet with other members of our family. 

In this way I can give my niece a small something connected to her Great Grandmother, her Grandmother and her Aunty 😊 

Thoughts of my Gran and my Mother went into every stitch that I crocheted here.



Stay safe  

Amanda :-)


PS: That parcel still sits in my house because I was told at the Post Office at the beginning of July that Australia has closed its' frontier at present and I cannot send the parcel yet.














11 comments:

  1. Dear Amanda
    What a lovely and useful gift for your niece. I am sure she'll love it once you are able to send it to her!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so special and I'm sure your niece will treasure it and appreciate all the thought and love that has gone into the making of it. How frustrating that you can't get it sent off yet, I have a garage full of charity makes that are waiting to be sent too. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was brilliant Amanda. I'm sure she will love it and appreciate the extra effort you made to send her parts made by the women who loved her. It will be treasured and passed down to future generations.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo for the finish to such a special gift for your niece. It's quite beautiful. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful! Even more so with the story to with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your niece will treasure the gift. It was interesting to hear about the restriction and you can't send a parcel to Australia at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sweet and so thoughtful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous idea my friend. Well done. Stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, linking you all together! I reckon your niece will love it, too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)