Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 23 February 2022

It is done

 

πŸ‘Many thanks to all for your comments on my previous post. 

I thought there were some very interesting responses and also several anecdotes from other bloggers who have had similar experiences.πŸ‘


That's one more make completed now and it is ready to be sent over the pond to Brisbane,Queensland.

I dithered about with this project! 

I knew the cushion cover I was going to make for my sister NΒΊ 2 in Australia wasn't going to be a full cushion cover as such. In fact some of my fanatical crochet peers may even classify my following criticism as sacrilege! 

I must be honest though and tell you I don't like full crochet cushion covers!  Crochet cushion covers as in crochet covering the back and front of a cover. I have found from past experiences that after awhile a crocheted cushion cover stretches and loses it shape and begins to look baggy and hence tatty. It has nothing to do with the type of yarn I used for those projects either as I used cotton for some and yarn for others. 

By the way I consider myself a crochet fanatic as well because no other craft to date makes me happy and content as much as crochet does...yes I am a tad obsessed! 

My dislike may also come from a comment my daughter NΒΊ1 made once when she said that my crochet cushions looked frumpish and grannyfied (..don't think that word exist but...hey ho!). I have to say that struck me to my crochet adoration core and I have been reluctant to make complete crochet cushion covers since. 

I therefore make up a crochet piece or applique for the front of a cushion cover I have bought and sew it on top of the cushion cover. 

Just like this one here which I sent to my sister NΒΊ 4 in the UK for her birthday two years ago.  I sewed the crochet square on the front of a cushion cover that I had bought.





Consequently I decided to do the same again for my other sister's cushion and cover just the front with crochet on this rectangle cushion cover.



I crocheted these flower motifs and joined them up to make a rectangle.


My idea was to cover the front of the cushion with the crochet motifs rectangle and place tassels of the same colour in each corner of the cushion. When it came to the moment of sewing on the cover I didn't like the effect at all! There was nothing wrong with the cushion cover or with the piece made up of crochet motifs separately but when put together it just looked pretty dull and it didn't strike a cord at all with me.  I therefore scrapped that and started again.  




This time with appliques of flowers and leaves and I did like this combination much more.









I was going to add tassels in the same colour as the crochet to the corners of the cushion but decided enough was enough and I didn't want it to look too fussy.

Both the little flowers and the larger five layer flowers I crocheted with no pattern at all precisely because I know the patterns by memory as I often use these type of flowers. I do sometimes make them bigger or smaller depending on the crochet project. This does not mean they do not originate from a pattern they do and not my pattern it is just that I cannot remember whose.

I vaguely remember the larger 5 layer flowers comes from a Japanese pattern.  That,under the circumstances,is the best acknowledgement I can give because as I said I started using and making these flowers many years ago and I have no idea where the pattern is.  The leaves and the stalks have no pattern they were freeform.    

I used a 2,00 hook and one of my favourite cotton threads Katia Jaipur Colour 250 and Colour 204


I never tire of this lovely cotton thread and the variation in colours.  



Soup weather


Although it has been sunny it is still soup weather.  I thought I would share this Carrot Soup recipe with you that I found some time ago on the internet.   




Depending on what I have in the larder and to give it some extra flavour I also add half a turnip and or half a courgette and or two small broccoli stalks ( I cut up and freeze Broccoli stalks to add to soups). If I haven't got "herbes de Provence" I add dried Thyme,Rosemary and Oregano. I never use the cream as stated on the recipe.   It is delicious! 






Replies to comment on previous post completed πŸ’‘





Happy Blogging


Amanda 🌻







26 comments:

  1. As much as I like the little motifs that you first made, I think you made a wise decision with the cushion. I think a little bit of color was just what it needed. Of course, since my favorite color is shades of purple, I think this is perfect! It's so beautiful and personal. I know your sister will adore it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) It was the lack of colour for sure Betsy and purple goes so well with the other colours too. A x

      Delete
  2. Both are lovely Amanda, I love those flowers with the beaded centre so pretty, and another plus about just doing the front of the cover is you don't have to think about making an opening and inserting a zip or placing buttons and button holes. I have made quite a few full cushions but I may try your method next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Linda! All the fuss about the opening and sewing a zip on is avoided! Less hassle. LOL! A x

      Delete
  3. Good morning, your crochet work always beautiful. I am not big on tassels but that's me.
    soup sounds delicious brrrr it is very cold here 17 degree f but thankfully we missed the last round of ice, although we may get a little snow this week happy mid week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Kathy I am cautious with tassels too ... sometimes they can just be too fancy! A x

      Delete
  4. All your crocheting is gorgeous, Amanda. You are so artistic! Carrot soup would just hit the spot here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris :-). I always try to have some homemade soup in the freezer. It goes down well for supper of an evening too A x

      Delete
  5. The cushions are absolutely stunning - I love them. You're so very clever.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. I must admit I did enjoy the second project more than the first. A x

      Delete
  6. Great makes, Amanda! I especially like the cushion with the appliques of flowers and leaves. I also like giving handmade presents.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia! Some people aren't keen on handmade gifts so I am particularly careful about making something for someone I don't know too well. A x

      Delete
  7. You can't go wrong with soup- so good for using up veggies! Your crochet is so pretty and I am sure will be appreciated by the recipients.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Ellie! I try to make up at least two soups per week and leave portions in the freezer too. A x

      Delete
  8. The cushions are gorgeous!
    The second cushion reminds me of a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iced Flowers. I might just call it that :-). A x

      Delete
  9. I like all your crochet ideas. You are talented at this craft and it must be satisfying to be able to send gifts to family, friends and others in your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cushion cover with the flowers just scattered across is beautiful Amanda!! I just love it & the simplicity of it & I'm glad you didn't add tassels to it. Your crochet work is amazing.
    I have been away to my Mums (again!!) so I am only just playing catchup on everyones posts. Wishing you a wonderful weekend Amanda. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Julie for your kind comments. I try to not over do things with too many frills or as in this case tassels :-). I do hope your Mother is feeling better. A x

      Delete
  11. Love the cushions, especially the flowers, so pretty and unusual. I'm sure it'll be loved xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Chrissie :-). I am crossing my fingers and toes that the colours I have chosen will go with the colour scheme in my sister's recently redecorated bedroom! A x

      Delete
  12. There are crochet covers, and there are Crochet Covers! I love the one with applique leaves and flowers, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Radka. Glad you can't see how clumsy my applique hand sewing is :-). A x

      Delete
  13. I am glad you left the tassels off - the flowers are perfect as they are, I am sure it will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Kate. I don't like too many frills and fancy stuff so tassels did seem just too much. A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)