Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 2 February 2022

What imagination can do!

 

In case any new followers to my blog are wondering why I post photos of Doors please view this post and all will be revealed.👀


DOORS IV

As the last post was rather image heavy I thought I would include the photos of Doors that I took last Sunday here in this post.




Some back door eh!   

This belongs to the Town Hall and it is situated in a very popular plaza called Plaza de la Santa Faz  which leads up to the old quarter. It is called La puerta de la Fruta (the door of the Fruit). Now then straight away my mind and imagination fires up instantly images of little old ladies in black selling fruit sat on the steps or nearby. 

I have learnt that since blogging and describing the photos of old buildings here that the origin of names isn't always as one imagines as in my Orihuela Door of Chains post which I commented about here

I have yet to find out if that door is really just about fruit,fruit or something more obscure! 




These are the ornamental wrought iron doors that have taken the place of the massive but magnificent wooden doors which were the entry to the University of Alicante City offices. You have probably guessed by my description that I preferred the solid wooden doors which in my opinion gave the building a more historical and classical look and definitely a sense of security. I imagine though they were tough to open. 




Just a door to someone's house but quite eyecatching.  It was a bit grimy and once again my imagination spired and I had instant images of how I could clean that up to make it look better and perhaps add a coat of varnish!  It's incredible the speed of one's thoughts. If it were possible mind power alone would have renovated that door as I looked at it!  I would love to see it cleaned up. The best bit was that the door was open so I was able to get a glimpse inside.





I'm glad I have a vivid imagination because I can visualise how this entryway as well would look cleaned up. Beautiful old mosaic floor tiles and the ceiling which is pretty grubby could look so impressive after getting rid of the dust and grim.   





Here's one of my favourites which is situated in the old quarter and lo and behold the door was open.  


 



The entrance had obviously been renovated but I am so glad they have kept the same doors. 
I do like the lamp! 
I did "once" quite some time ago actually see the second door open or rather ajar. It leads right into a patio garden surrounded by columns. Why I didn't take a photo at the time I don't know. I would love to see inside properly.





A cushion to add the finishing touch


The next crochet make.




My sister in Australia has just remodelled her bedroom 




We were chatting the other day on Messenger and she mentioned she felt it just needed a pretty cushion for the bed. A small cushion with an extra splash of colour just to finish it all off. I therefore offered to make her one 😀
I have just ordered this rectangle cushion cover online which was fortunately in the sales and I am at present waiting to receive details of where I have to pick it up.


I think this is a nice neutral colour as base for the crochet I plan to cover it with.  In fact I have already started the crochet bits but cannot show you as yet as sister Nº 2 might see it.   
 



   Pleased!

I am quite surprised!

I say surprised because everytime I see a plant that I have is doing well I am amazed!  Half the time I don't know if I am doing the right thing with my plants. It is really trial and error for me.
Anyhow this bamboo stick is doing well stuck in water and situated in the kitchen window. It seems to like it there. 









In water with decorative glass chips.

Do you see the bottle?   I expect my UK blog friends think it is a milk bottle. I thought so too!  It was a by the dustbin find! The thing is though there are no milkman who deliver milk to the door here in Spain at all and there never have been! There is no dairy name on the bottle  either. I really can't see anyone bringing a milk bottle over from the UK at anytime!  I have been looking in the bargain shops to see if I could find another as I wanted to give daughter Nº 1 a Bamboo stick in a bottle as well.    In all the shops I have been in,even the big stores, I have not found one.
It's a mystery ! 😕




Replies completed on my previous post comments👍






Happy Blogging


Amanda 😊


















23 comments:

  1. Good morning, there are some amazing doors near you-enjoyed seeing them-allot of history there too I am thinking.
    Your bamboo looks pretty neat in the bottle here in the states old milk bottles can be collectors items and they do usually have the dairy's name on them when I was a kid growing up my family had milk delivery in those. I guess that means I am for sure a senior haha.
    bamboo when planted in the ground will spread like crazy and is difficult to control-just a tip if you did not know. Happy wednesday-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I supposed I must be a senior too then! I vividly remember the milkman and just like yours the bottles had the dairy's name on it. I will keep that advice about the bamboo in mind because when this bamboo stalk that I have got in water gets too tall I plan to plant it in a pot. A x

      Delete
  2. I love the doors Amanda and how tantalising when the door is open and you can get a glimpse of what lies beyond, your sisters bedroom looks very stylish and I can't wait to see the cushion cover you fashion for her, the rectangular shape cushion is my favourite shape it lends itself to all sorts of possibilities. I love how the bamboo is growing so well in the bottle I didn't know it could survive on just water. Could it be a bottle that is used for sterilized milk? they used to sell in bottles in Syria although the rims weren't that wide. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally found the bottles similar to this one I use for the bamboo. It's a common bottle (which seems escaped my eye when shopping)that is used for dietetic products such as soups and fruit juices and I found it in the hypermarket I sometimes go to. Not much of a mystery after all LOL! A x

      Delete
  3. There are sauce bottles in the shape of your bottle. I'd check out hot sauces, and then the Asian cooking section.
    Doors are fascinating in the possibilities they represent. Nice photographs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are! I saw some very similar bottles in the biofoods section in the hyper supermarket which were used for soups and fruit juices. Mystery sold then :-). A x

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine having such an impressive door to my house. I would love that. The lion door knockers are my favorite.

    Although I would imagine if anyone used it while I was in the house, I would jump a mile high in fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I expect you would! Occasionally I see some of the hand or lion door knockers in the antique markets. I long to buy one but what for it just wouldn't go on my apartment front door at all. I do like them though :-). A x

      Delete
  5. Always love seeing the fabulous door pics you take. Reminds me of when we could travel. Loved seeing so many parts of Europe and Uk/Scotland......I can dream of future times. That is a neat bottle but unknown to me here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos! I still haven't been to Scotland just never got around to it when I lived in the UK. One day I hope . A x

      Delete
  6. I have a bamboo stick in a tiny little 3 inch high pottery jar. I was just thinking that I should move it too something bigger. Like your milk bottle. It looks to me like a Starbucks cold coffee bottle. They sell them in all of the shops here. I may have to get some for my husband so we can have matching bamboo in our milk bottles Amanda! :-)
    I love seeing all of the beautiful doors in your photos. I can see using your imagination to decorate as you please.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the beautiful and eye catching cushion you create for your sister. I'm thinking of how we will decorate in our new little trailer. I'm already planning which crochet blankets to take with us.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy, Bamboo seems very easy to grow. Although I have been assured that it also grows in soil well with very little care. Those are the sort of plants for me as I know so little about gardening and pot plants. It’s mainly trial and error in my case. I look forward to seeing all the neat extras you will be adding to your new trailer to make it extra cosy. A x

      Delete
  7. Fabulous doors! They always make a place look impressive.
    I am sure your cushion will be great success.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be out hunting fabulous doors once again this coming Sunday :-) I have already changed the combination of colours on the cushion as it just didn't look right. A x

      Delete
  8. SO glad that I found your blog. The crochet and the travels and the plants are all wonderful, but, oh, the doors. The doors are glorious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am pleased you enjoy my posts. I find it difficult to describe why I have this attraction towards doors and most particularly old vintage type. A x

      Delete
  9. Brilliant read really love the doors the workmen ship is so good and you where lucky to see in side like you said that floor and ceiling are lovely 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifu1 doors. They symbo1ize goodness behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont always get to see inside Kathy but just sometimes I get a glimpse and that usually does not disappoint. :-). A x

      Delete
  11. Great doors, I would imagine alot of us just walk through them without really taking notice of how beautiful they are. I´m sure you will enjoy doing the cushion, lovely when your work is appreciated xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for popping in Chrissie :-). The cushion has got a bit fiddly LOL! What I had in mind didn't look right so I have to go back to square one :-). A x

      Delete
  12. Wow, those are some impressive and gorgeous doors! And I love all the tilework glimpsed in your photos.

    Happy crocheting, and long life to your bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I am planning to get some more bamboo and plant it this time. I think it will look pretty good in my balcony garden. A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)