Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 16 March 2022

Hats and hats

 

Oh! but it is dark out there today! It has been like that for several days now. 

I swear it wants to rain but can't!

The sky was a strange amber colour two days ago and I thought there was going to be a massive downpour but that didn't happen. 



This is at the esplanade in front of Alicante port but I assure you the sky was like this throughout all the city and in Murcia (the next province)as well.  The weatherman announced that the high winds has brought a winter "calima" sand storm to us from the Sahara to these shores. 

It was quite eerie looking!



Fast Darning
Some of you may remember that I mentioned in a previous post how I use Fast Darning to repair Sr P's well worn jeans.


from December 2020 post

Actually it was Kate on LiveLoveCraftMe who recently posted about her creative Boro mending that she had used to repair a favourite shirt of hers. That reminded me that I had recently done some more Fast darning on another pair of Sr P's jeans.   




This time in the shape of a car.


Instructions:

Cut out shape on patch,iron on and "Voila" Fast Darning completed .


PS: I predict that car patch isn't going to last very long as those jeans are super tatty now. I think they are destined to be thrown in the bin pretty soon!


By the way I have changed the name. I called it Fast Darning in my previous posts but Lazy Darning sounds more appropriate as it is quite lazy...isn't it?




It started at one hat and then...

I am diligently trying to reduce my stash of yarn.  . It started off with a bonnet that I decided to make for my great niece Arabella in NZ for the winter.   






A very simple bonnet and I didn't use a pattern. I just kept measuring it as I went along as I wanted it to fit a big two year old. I used leftovers of worsted weight yarn and a 5.50 hook


I often post my crochet projects on FB and my sister saw that bonnet and wanted a bonnet too. Which is fine so I made a second bonnet. 








Again I used leftovers of worsted weight yarn and Aran variegated yarn to add a touch of colour. I had to again keep measuring this one as this was for an Adult size.



Then I remembered I hadn't made the slouchy hat for Cookie (GD) that she asked me for so I got cracking with that. 

The slouchy hat pattern was from a Yarnspirations free pattern which you can download from here . I used Katia Planet Aran yarn for that and a 5.00 hook and some leftovers of  a colourful variegated yarn. I also added a little heart patch.




I managed to convince Sylvester to model for that. He wouldn't model for the bonnets as he said they were for girls and that was sissy!




I finished that and then my sister saw that one as well and wanted a slouchy hat too.  I am now on my fourth hat but my stash doesn't seem to be dwindling very rapidly at all...sigh!





Replied to comments on my previous post






Happy Blogging


Amanda 🧶







32 comments:

  1. Good morning Amanda, you have been busy creating-I used to patch up my old jeans that way too-sometimes also named slow stitching. enjoyed seeing all of your ha projects loved the slouchy one the best. that is an erie looking sky for sure almost looks like a painting.
    Happy mid-week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy,I have started another new craft and I'll post about it in my next post :-). I agree the slouchy hat has turned out very well. I have just finished another for my sister. A x

      Delete
  2. Happy Hats Galore! You have been busy there. Sylvester is looking quite stylish. The slouchy hat pattern link is bookmarked. Thank you.
    Goodness! That is an eerie sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird isn't it. Local authorities also told people to wear their masks outside again for a few days until the storm passed. It was like breathing fine grit! A x

      Delete
  3. Such a lot of happy crafting. The lazy darning is a superb idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easier by far! I was never very good at darning and this is so much quicker! A x

      Delete
  4. You certainly have been busy, loving those hats. Love the idea of lazy darning, perfect way to repair particularly in these days of constant rising prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. I am trying out a little boro mending at present another way to recycle clothes. A x

      Delete
  5. The sky is eerie but beautiful I would say. I love all the hats but that's the problem with hats they don't take that much yarn. I have to say Sylvester doesn't look like a happy model even wearing the slouchy, it does suit him though. Those jeans have loads of wear in them yet, holes are in haha. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think so Linda? I wouldn't have thought of it as beautiful,strange yes! I am sure you have seen that more than once in the past when you lived abroad. A x

      Delete
  6. We have the red sand here, our car was covered in it. Just had it through the car wash as well. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Briony, I am surprised it got as far as the UK! It was a nuisance and just typical as our car had just recently been washed. Poor Sr P has had to take it in again tch! A x

      Delete
  7. Great hats, you have been busy! Stash does go own at an annoyingly slow rate, doesn't it ?!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tiresome Jill! My stash just doesnt seem to go down! I have been drooling over some rather lovely yarn I saw in our local shop but I have been strong and resisted the temptation! I must get rid of stash...I must LOL! A x

      Delete
  8. Sylvester is very patient to model those hats! :-) They are all great hats and I can see why they are requested by family. I'm trying not to buy yarn either. I have lots and plan to get some charity blankets made when I finish my granddaughters birth cross stitch.
    That is one scary looking sky. Does it smell like sand too?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the smell but no it doesn't smell of sand. There was a musty smell though unclean smell though. Just finished another slouchy hat they seem to be very trendy and popular with the family. A x

      Delete
  9. The sky reminds of a massive dust storm we had in Melbourne in 1983. Does the sand settle and make things gritty?
    I must get making some hats for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sand does indeed settle and everything gets covered in brown orangey dust. Much to my husband's disgust as he has to take the car in again to be washed. A x

      Delete
  10. A lovely variety of hats and will be loved for sure. Love the quick patching too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy :-). I am trying out Boro mending now. I really don't like throwing away clothes that still have a lot of life in them. A x

      Delete
  11. Beautiful crochet work, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. My stash just doesn't go down though...sigh! A x

      Delete
  12. Lovely hats - you are so clever.

    We've had strangely coloured skies and I gather it is Saharan sand. It chucked it down yesterday and the car and the windows are filthy this morning. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is it! Sr P had to take the car in again to get washed as it was turning orange too! A x

      Delete
  13. Oh yes, we were told about the dust from Sahara, with a possibility reaching it England !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems it did reach the Uk from what other bloggers have told me. I suppose it depends how the wind is blowing LOL! A x

      Delete
  14. I love the slouchy hat - it looks great. I am sure the bonnets will be used a lot. The sky does look like something out of a sci-fi film.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally weird storm! My sister is already using the bonnet I made her. I said she looks like an Amish lady in it. She is just happy that it covers her ears as she says they freeze early morning when she walks the dog! LOL! A x

      Delete
  15. The slouchy hat is trendy. You've been busy with your crocheting and darning. The colour of the sky due to the Sahara sand blowing your way is amazing. All the best Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Those hats do seem to be all the rage. Forecast yesterday on the TV indicated that the Calima storm was back but in the Andalusian region of Spain. The orange storm as they are calling it. A x

      Delete
  16. Love the hats, Amanda! They are brilliant.
    My little cat
    stopped for a chat
    and took off his hat.
    Imagine that.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amalia. I have just finished another slouchy. It is becoming addictive. A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)