Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Thursday 19 March 2015

Father's Day or San Jose

Father's Day today !

At least it is in this part of the world and I expect in parts of South America too!
As Spain is a Catholic nation it follows the catholic calender and today is San Jose.
Fiesta Day!!!!!

A lovely mid-week break too!


so Happy Father's Day to all who celebrate it today as we do in our family :-)


What Is A Dad?

A dad is someone who
wants to catch you before you fall
but instead picks you up,
brushes you off,
and lets you try again.

A dad is someone who
wants to keep you from making mistakes
but instead lets you find your own way,
even though his heart breaks in silence
when you get hurt.

A dad is someone who
holds you when you cry,
scolds you when you break the rules,
shines with pride when you succeed,
and has faith in you even when you fail...
- Unknown



I haven't had much time to crochet but I did manage to finish this hot pad I promised I would make for my sister in Lincolnshire. She uses wood burners in her 17th century cottage.
Something like this :

 and the hand on the door always gets very hot so I made this double thickness hot pad for her.



It isn't my pattern I found it on the internet but it is a great little pattern,clear and quick to do. You can find it at Hooked on Needles

 

and I used the lovely yarn that Sharon at From my Front Porch sent me. This yarn was included in her Swap parcel that she sent me. That was back in October 2012.

Thank you so much Sharon this yarn was perfect for this make.

Now I have to dash as my oven is calling me!


Keep well


   Amanda :-)  


11 comments:

  1. Ah! Yes! Fathers Day in Italy to....
    Along with St Joseph's Day. Remember it well,
    as my Godfather was called Joseph..His birthday,
    was also on the 19th of March!

    Silly bit of information....
    Did you know there are more reverse charged phone
    calls on Fathers Day than any other day....!
    My Dad never answers the phone anyway....He died 20yrs
    ago....! :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers Day midweek! That is different than here in the US where it's always on a Sunday in June. I do like that poem abouts Fathers. Very true of my husband. Great job on the hot pad. I have some made with the same pattern in my kitchen. I used cotton yarn in a blue variegated color and probably should make some new ones as these are VERY well used.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the yarn came in handy. That is a nice hot pad. Have a great day, Amanda.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those hotpads, they work so good! I think I'll make another one.. thanks for the pattern link.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hot pad, great use of your swap yarn.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colours for the hot pads, good idea as those handles can get really hot xcx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely hot pad Amanda, love the pattern and the colours it would match my kitchen. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tribute to Dad's! I love those hot pads too! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty mix of colours in your hotpad Amanda!...Wishing you a wonderful Easter x
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very pretty array of sweet corals in the hot pad for your sister! Hope you had a wonderful Easter, Amanda!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)