Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Thursday 12 November 2020

Have card will travel.

 

 

I'll just pause here one moment and go into some deep thought... you don't mind,do you?  I look at myself in the mirror and yes at 66 I am a bit worn but the person who looks back at me from the mirror does not look like a pensioner!! Nor do I feel like a pensioner....by the way what does a pensioner have to feel like?? 😊 

Well! I have certainly been reminded that I am a pensioner now when Sr P said I had to apply for my free bus & tram card! It seems I get free travel on the Intercity buses and free travel on the Tram now I am a pensioner. I have never been on a tram before!  When I first arrived in Alicante there was no tram service as the original service which began in 1923 fell in to disuse and it completely disappeared from the city in 1969. Thirty years later in 1999 the new tram service was inaugurated and it has been a great success and they are extending lines to many areas of the city and outskirts including the airport. We have been told there will be eventually a tram stop quite near us too.  In the 21 years since the new Tram service has started I have never used a tram so I think under the circumstances as I will be able to get it free I should consider using it! 

 I applied for my card and 20 days later I received notification to pick it up. Under strict C19 conditions that is queuing out side at the proper distance between each person,wearing masks of course,only two people allowed in the office at the same time. The very nice girl in the office gave me all the details on how to catch a tram so I thought ok I have never been on a tram and it is free..... now I have the card...so!!!

Photo cut out....why?...that isn't me!!


 I have to add I am not terribly keen on using public transport and even less now due to the Covid circumstances however we were dithering last Sunday week where to go for our Sunday walk. Sr P suggested we go by tram to Campello to walk along the beach and visit the Sunday fruit and veg market,by Tram. 

 


Perfect,I thought, I can use my bright new free pass.πŸ˜ƒ 

 IT was good!   I was a little wary at first because of the people but there weren't many passengers and everyone wore their masks and there was hand gel to use and constant CoVid reminders over the megaphone system.  I also noticed that there was a team of cleaners rapidly wiping down all the hand poles and door handles/buttons each time a tramcar arrived into the station. Very thorough!!

 



All nice and clean!


It took us about 15 minutes until we got to Campello.  It was nice not having to ago around and around looking for a parking space..much more relaxing this way!



The beach was about 10 minutes away from the Tram stop.


Campello beach,Alicante

A nice long walk along the explanade.



A light refreshment. Sr P had a lager as he wasn't driving and I had peach fruit juice and then it was time to return home.


 Just Perfect!!!🌞

 πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·

 

 

Walking

I continue to walk practically everyday not always as far as I would like but I am getting back into the habit again. There are days when I can only do what I call the tight hour so those are the days I use THE ROAD for my walk. 

Now then....THE ROAD is a road very near to where I live!

When you see the roundabout that leads to it I could quite understand you thinking.. oh! that's nice....


 

 and following the pavement on the right the entrance to THE ROAD looks a bit like an entrance to a park....doesn't it??   

 


 Any pretty pretty views I'm afraid end there!   It is just a long new road with warehouses in two industrial estates on either side and blocks and blocks of flats and also waste ground. 

 It isn't worth taking photos of.


 

 It is though a 4 mile walk there and back so at least I get the exercise and I can do it in a tight hour!        

My method is head down......put my best foot forward... listen and sing to a bit of music on my ipod... (yes I still use one of those) and get on with it!!



 PS: Tight hour = as in going at super speed the last 10 mins of that hour to get back home to feed Sr P and Cookie baby the grand-daughter who has lunch with us most weekdays after college.


keep well and enjoy the coming weekend

 

 Amanda πŸ˜‰







 


 


35 comments:

  1. We visit friends often, who live just outside Valencia, we have always used the public transport, always found them clean and always on time. I get my bus pass next year here in UK and plan to use it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Part of my husband's family live outside of Valencia in PicaΓ±a,a small dormitory town near the city. We usually visit at Christmas which of course will be a no no this year...sigh! Where do your friends live? A x

      Delete
  2. Oh how I wish we had public transport here in our city. We do have buses but they are inconvenient and not always on time. I would have to drive about 3 miles to catch the nearest bus when we lived in our house!
    I love visiting cities with undergrounds and on-time transport. London, Paris, Tokyo and other Japanese cities are all places I've visited that I have made good use of the subway systems.
    Thank you for sharing you interesting day and how they are keeping things nice and clean too.
    Our COVID cases are climbing rapidly all over the US and it's positively scary. I've put myself back into isolation for awhile. When will this all end?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to hear about the escalation of Covid cases in the States!! It is frightening!! I watched Biden's speech on BBC World and it sounds very much more sensible what he is proposing to deal with C19. sat safe A x

      Delete
  3. Good for you going on the tram and reassuring that it had a team of cleaners. Nice to not have the worry of parking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for stopping by! It was different too and all very efficient. A much more relaxing form of transport. A x

      Delete
  4. Once we are out of the restrictions - one day - I foresee you travelling by tram a lot! It looks very well organised there.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Ellie. Just have to keep out of the rush hour as tram has become very popular. A x

      Delete
  5. Good for you keeping up with the walking. I got my local travel pass 6 years ago, when I reached 60. I can travel free on local buses, trains and even the ferry 'cross the Mersey. It makes me feel like a naughty schoolgirl, not paying my fare, teehee! Sadly, thanks to Covid, my pass hasn't seen much use this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the ferry!! I have also contacted Renfe (Nat rail) because I was told you can get a gold card which gives you free or discounted travel on trains throughout Spain.Even the super fast Avi! A x

      Delete
  6. That will be so nice to have when you want to travel into the city. And I love the area where you walk. We don't have to drive far to hike in the forest so that's what we try to do but not every day. I just can't walk every day any more. But I'm older than you! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not look older than me Diane at all. We will definitely be using the tram again..so practical!! A x

      Delete
  7. Happy Tram Riding! What a lovely day you two had. Beautiful beach.
    Thank you for a fine post the makes me smile@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day...a lovely change. I think the Tram is definitely a plus for us!! A x

      Delete
  8. Proud of you! Im trying to get steps in now too. I can't paddle board anymore. Cycling is a maybe, but my hands are sore and achy lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I just keep at it as much as I can...I would prefer swimming but it is getting a bit chilly for that! Wish I could go back to cycling though! A x

      Delete
  9. I still use my i pod too Amanda. Your beach photos are just beautiful ... I am pleased you got to use the tram & pleased it wasn't too busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so I am not alone....my daughter tells me ipods are out now and I tell her CD players are out now but there is still life left in my ipod!! A x

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your free pass! Here in the USA we call ourselves "retired" but I like the term "pensioner" too. I think you're brave to take public transport during this time. The pandemic is raging here in America due to the idiot president who though he didn't look good in a mask so he demeaned them to his followers and had super spreader rallies and now everyone is dying. Take care! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa. We were very careful to choose a time of day when there weren't too many travellers. Mr T will be history very soon Teresa..... A x

      Delete
  11. Amanda Your beach photos are just beautiful!
    Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! It is a very popular beach and even when the weather gets cooler you can see swimmers there! keep well Amanda :-)

      Delete
  12. I remember I was over the moon when I got my bus pass at 62 I was one of the lucky ones as it's 66 now. In normal times I use it all the time and must have saved a fortune over the years. We don't have free metro travel but bus pass holders can get a discount. It's great that you have a efficient tram service I would be taking advantage of it if we had trams here. That beach looks amazing so much different to the grey one on my doorstep although I'm not complaining I love any beach. Well done on keeping up with your walks I'm going to kick myself up the backside right now and get out as the sun is shining and I've been sitting working on this laptop for 2 hours! Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always keen to receive your comments Linda!! I am trying to get into a walk a day habit as I so feel better after walking. I shall certainly be making the most of my free pass on buses and trams when all this C19 stuff is over! A x

      Delete
  13. The tram routes were a good way to explore and get to know our city when we came to live in the north of England especially as we qualified for a free transport pass. I haven't travelled on public transport since the beginning of our first lockdown and I miss the experience of going beyond our neighbourhood on a tram or bus instead of by car. I would love to go to the beach if I lived in your city and then take a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in. I really did not know that there were tram routes in the North of England!!. I think I shall be using the Tram here quite often now I have the gold card :-) A x

      Delete
  14. that Tram pass might be really fun to use and explore new places.
    I had overdid my walks, and then stopped, and now that the weather is nicer again should do that again-Happy weekend Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I look at your picture you still look young, not like a pensioner at all.
    How great that you can take the tram so well with the card. Nice trip.
    Good of you to walk every day, stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loes!! Actually that photo was taken six years ago so I am a bit older now LOL! A x

      Delete
  16. Good morning (early here) Amanda sorry for the confusion-I am frustrated with some of the social media sites right now, unsettled with what is going on here in the States too. my new blog has a different format and look to it and I just don't care for it. and my blog list on blogger is not working for editing for some reason-I am hoping I can add you to it as it won't let me delete. I will still find you though hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for contacting me! I am having the same problem with my blog list as well. I cannot delete your blog on my blog roll nor can I update and place your Hummingbird blog back on the blog roll...most annoying as I use my blog roll more than the reading list to keep uptodate with bloggers!! As long as we stay in contact though...lets hope blogger gets itself sorted out soon. A x

      Delete
  17. I must admit that you have much nicer places to walk then I do, specially at this time of year.
    And yes, some strange things happen when you become OAP;
    I am slightly ahead of you in that department :-), I have been a proud owner of a bus pass for some years now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Radka. I hope the strangeness of being an OAP will all slip into place eventually! Meanwhile I am trying to adapt :-) A x

      Delete
  18. Amanda, I have been missing your wonderful posts. Your adventure on the tram to the beach sounds wonderful, so wish we had transpiration like that here in Florida. Stay safe my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Mere!! It was a little adventure trying out something new...at least new for me LOL! stay safe A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)