Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 15 September 2021

Crown of Christ

 

Last Sunday we went to the market in the seaside town of Campello. It is mostly a food and clothes market but they also have a few plant stalls. 


 

 

Campello Market




They have a large selection of veg there and I usually find what I can't find here in the city like these scrumptious Raf Marmande tomatoes...

and snake cucumber which doesn't upset my stomach as much as the ordinary cucumber does.  

 

I of course made a beeline for the plant stalls and bought this plant which I have never heard of before, pretty easy that of course as I am a newbie gardener.

Here it is called the Crown of Christ because legend has it that the twisted thorny wreath from this plant was used to make the thorny crown worn by Jesus at the crucifixion.

 


 Google tells me this succulent originates from Madagascar and is called Euphorbia and flowers all years round. It is very heat tolerant and drought resistant...right up my street!    It likes about four hours of direct sunlight per day. It will get that here!

 


 

RAOCK

My RAOCK gnome is all ready to be dropped off to bring smiles to someone out there.  I don't much like his eyes he looks as if he is scared or he's a bit on the timid side perhaps so I have given him a sparkly piercing on his nose to brighten him up.

I used some oddments of worsted weight yarn so he is a bit bigger than I had anticipated,bigger than my hand in fact. I don't think he would do to hang on a Christmas tree as the size of him would topple the tree over; never mind he is a fun make after all.

Pattern Designer: Julia Musatova

 

 


 

 


 

CAR Maintenance

Our 12 year old car past its MOT in March this year with flying colours so we thought except for the usual check ups of oil,brake fluid,tyre pressure and lights everything was in good working order.


Google image

 

Nevertheless a fortnight or so ago our neighbour who is a policeman (Guardia Civil) gave us a tip off that police are issuing fines to drivers who do not have their car number plates in good order, in otherwise are old,battered and illegible. Fair enough we thought, so Sr P went and checked the car plates weren't bent at all or loose and gave them a good scrub and asked me what I thought. They looked fine to me and I could easily read the registration number and letters even from a distance.   

Well! so much for sprucing up the number plate, the other day Sr P was stopped by the police and told he had to renew the car number plates and the fine would be 200€ if he didn't. Luckily he got away with that warning. He went straight to the garage to get two new number plates and that cost 50€.  The mechanic even agreed with us that our car number plates were in good condition and could only surmise the police saw it was an old car and the plates were used and immediately focussed on that!

Good job! Sr P did not argue with the police about it otherwise we would be paying a fine and new plates.

 

Google image



Putting it to use 

 I send out lots of crochet mostly to family and as I have mentioned before I really do like to see my crochet travel the world.  I also very much like to see that it is being used or displayed.

Awhile ago I sent this crocheted plant pot cover to my sister in Devon,UK. 

She has just sent me this photo.  

Love it and so glad it is put to use!


 

Happy Blogging 

 

Amanda :-) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

23 comments:

  1. Campello market looks like a lovely place to visit all that fresh fruit and veg looks amazing. I love your Euphorbia plant it's very pretty and I hope that it flowers for a long time to come. The little gnome is so cute and he does look a little bit frightened I hope his new owner will look after him and put him at ease haha. What a cheek asking you to renew your number plates when there was nothing wrong with them I think Sr P was very good not to argue with them. Your plant cover looks beautiful it goes so well with the cyclamen. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,It is a very good market and worth the drive to get certain items that I can't always get here in the city. The Fruit and veg are much better too. Always best not to argue with the traffic police if you can't prove it 100% they have an answer for everything. A x

      Delete
  2. I a pretty little pot cover! I love it and your RAOCK. That sweet little gnome is sure to make someone very happy.
    Too bad the policeman wasn't very thoughtful to check the actual plates out. Good for Sr. P not to argue.
    BLessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy,thank you for your kind comments. This Gnome is a big boy so I think I will drop him off near the local kindergarten after the children have gone in. There are always lots of Mum's hovering and chatting outside. A x

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda, Oh I would love to visit a big market like that-I really miss a good one nearby. when I was kid we had a very huge farmers market that one could buy anything for canning and freezing, with meat market too.
    Not familiar with your new plant but I love it, and I love the crochet pot holder you made too. that's a bummer about the police-just wanting money sounds like. yep never talk back to the police not worth it.
    hugs Happy rest of your week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,Like you I miss the flea markets that we used to go but we have to wait until they come back again in full. I am inclined to agree with you I think the police were over eager about the car's number plate. Still it was just a warning so we have that sorted now. A x

      Delete
  4. Love the look of the market, what a great place for a stroll. Love the crochet pot holder, so bright and cheerful. The sweet gnome will be a lovely surprise for someone, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The market looks great - what a lovely place to meander through (and buy a few things!) Your gnome is great and I'm sure someone will love him. I have heard of the Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia Milii) - does your plant have the thorns too? The crochet pot looks lovely too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gnome does look fearful of being left out alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that plant but I don't think it's Euphorbia. Does it have spikes on the stalks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris,thanks for calling in. My Euphorbia does have thorns on the stalk and I have read that it is poisonous for animals + the sap is pretty irritating if you get it on the skin. A x

      Delete
  8. Your RAOCK gnome is just gorgeous Amanda & will certainly brighten someones day I am sure. The pot plant cover you send to your sister looks just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, Many thanks for your comments. I will be putting out Big Guy Gnome very soon...that is when I can get out walking properly again. I may drop him off in the big shopping Mall on one of the benches there. A x

      Delete
  9. That looks like a pretty big market, lovely to find different veggies than the run of the mill ones. Lovely plant too, something different. Love the little gnome, very cute. It just depends on who you get as to how the police react, really confusing but as you say better to say yes sir than argue, especially when we wouldn´t be able to offer any retort in spanish. Apparently it´s the same at the airport security, some stamp your passport even though you show TIE etc and others don´t bother. Such a nice gift for the flower pot, I have made a few with odds and ends xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chrissie,Many thanks for commenting. When you next come this way on a Sunday you should try out the Campello market. Prices and quality of the fruit and veg are pretty good. Mind you you have La Nucia nearer to you and that has a good market too and prices are reasonable. A x

      Delete
  10. Hi Amanda, how beautiful is your gnome and also quite big. What a beautiful market with those light cucumbers and tomatoes, the plant is called the honey locust in our country. Keep the police friendly, that's important! Your car looks fine. I always like to see handicrafts and your crochet work for the plant is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Loes, Thanks for your kind comments. The Gnome is big and I had to reduce the size of his nose too as he kept tipping over. Next time it will have to be in cotton. I do like the name you call that Euphorbia "Honey Locust" much nicer than Crown of thorns or Crown of Christ! A x

      Delete
  11. That market sounds lovely, and what beautiful flowers on the Euphorbia. I have seen some wild varieties of Euphorbia here (leafy spurge and flowering spurge), but the blossoms aren't nearly as pretty.

    I thought of you frequently this month, as my Sr P watched the Vuelta. We both enjoyed seeing the amazing scenery of Spain.

    What a pretty plant pot cover, and cheery gnome! Too bad the Guardia Civil didn't look more closely at your number plates, but at least they didn't issue a fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, Thank you for popping in and for your comments. Now then...I did have this tingling at the back of my neck and my ears were burning a little! I couldn't understand why now I know it was your thought vibes hovering,wasn't it? LOL! Where "Guardia Civil" are concerned definitely have to be 100% sure before arguing with the1 A x

      Delete
  12. Yes number plates looked good to me too. Lovely crafting and gifting and super market with veg
    Neat gnome Amanda πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thank you for your kind comments about my crochet. I must admit I like buying in that market everything is so fresh and there is a greater variety of choice. I am not so bothered with the clothes so much there but veg,fruit and plants are good buys. A x

      Delete
  13. I do love those Mediterranean fruit and veg markets where you can buy fresh produce. Your local one looks great! I'm sure you look forward to exchanging photos via the internet with your sister. It brings you closer as does sending little gifts in the post. I hope Thursday's medical appointment goes well. Thank you for your kind comments and good wishes for my husband's health. Kind regards to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,Many thanks for your kind regards and for your comments :-) I usually exchange parcels once a month with my sister in Devon. This month it is odd because she has received my parcel and I haven't received hers. We think there is a delay due to the transport problem in the UK. Just have to sit and wait...sigh! A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)