Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Thursday 10 May 2012

Am I a freak?


Welcome to my two new followers Kate at booty-fulthings and Mary Jane at Mary Jane's tearoom , thank you for joining my blog. 
Wisegeek tells us that Computer addiction is a relatively new term used to describe a dependency on one's computer and the internet and has already been given a label by psychologists,namely  Internet disorder addiction  (IDA). They go on to describe it as an addiction that can creep up on you before you know it and can destroy relationships by one partner's computer addiction. 
On reading this I have to admit that I do spend quite a lot of time on the computer,mostly for work and in fact too much for work, nevertheless I’ve tried to analyse my use of the computer/internet and my attachment to it. I do indeed enjoy the many positive sides of having a computer and internet. I like connecting up with family overseas and friends on facebook and also the social aspect of it,which I find very attractive. I admit I could spend less time on the computer and do try to but I don’t think I am so consumed by the computer and internet that I neglect my family or my social life. I haven’t played a virtual game yet on the computer and I’ve used computers for many years,but neither have I had the inclination to do so there being other distractions which fills my computer time. I see the computer and internet as a practical and versatile tool which I can switch off.  No I don’t think I have IDA.

So just where am I going with all this …. Nonetheless in comparison and discussing addiction and here’s the bombshell I have to admit to having C.A.D and at times wonder that due to this I sometimes ask myself am I not a bit of a freak?   Such is my need that I take it with me wherever I go I practically always have some in my bag 



and it goes without saying if I have an appointment at the dentist or doctors or anywhere where I have to wait you can be sure I get it out to while away the boredom of waiting. I even take it with me when we are invited out to dinner to a friend’s house because I can do it perfectly well after the meal while chatting and I can sip my wine at the same time too. 
I wander aimlessly if I have nothing on the go too and I fight during the day to find that moment to sit down and satisfy the need to continue with it.
 Sr P tells me I get quite annoyed when I can’t have one of those moments and I have to admit he is right,as my old Auntie May down in Somerset would have said  “her gets right grumpy!”


There you are you see I am inclined to think I do have C.A.D or in other words crochet addiction disorder.

 Am I a freak?

You may denote a touch of humor in this post but I assure you there are times I think to myself that too much crochet is not good for me. Therefore I occasionally try and refrain from doing crochet and I turn to the following:
Pain & Joy project..made about 20 years ago now


BUT I always return to crochet…perhaps its in the genes!!
Made a couple of years ago and I just don't know what to do with it. It's too big to be a doily



 I also wonder is there anyone else out there who has C.A.D and if so it would be so good to hear from you.  xx Amanda 



13 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda...Yes, I definitely think I have an addiction to all things crafty but then it's good for the soul and definitely too late to change me!
    I do think I spend too much time on my laptop though and I'm still trying to find a way around that one...
    Love all your pretty makes!
    Hope you have a happy weekend,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Thanks for your comments.
      I totally agree with you it is good for the soul!!

      Amanda x

      Delete
  2. That cushion is amazing Amanda....I LOVE it! Yes,please do put a link to my blog on yours that would be great.
    Thanks so much for following..I will follow you too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from your newest follower :)I love your blog.

    Love,

    Lexie from piecesofwonderful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely things and I think I have CAD because when I am teaching I crave my crochet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is Mrs Thrify I don't think there's a cure either!

      Amanda x

      Delete
    2. Hi Amanda thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments, I love your blog too and have become a follower. Fear not you are not a freak it is perfectly normal to have CAD, don't you think it's a lovely addiction to have lol I too take my crochet everywhere with me even to work and will do a bit when the boss isn't looking, I have been caught a few time's lol. The worst is the effect it has on my family especially when I get it out in a coffee shop my son and daughter will say oh no mum put it away! I can't imagine a world without crochet and internet. Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
    3. Hello Linda,
      Thanks for following my blog. I prefer to be totally addicted and I am a self confessed C.A.D. and happy to be! :-)

      Enjoy your Sunday

      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Amanda,
    Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm now your latest follower :-)

    I'm addicted to crafts of all kinds, cross stitch, knitting, sewing, embroidery.......I find it absolutely impossible to sit and not be doing something! I probably spend about 5 hours a day on the computer (trying to cut back a bit!) and 10 hours making things. If I sit for five miutes without making something my boyfriend has been known to ask if I'm feeling okay :-)

    The way I see it though there are a lot worse things to be addicted too!

    Lori x

    p.s. I'm so jealous of you living in Spain, my favourite country :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lori,

      Thanks for following my blog.
      I'd very much like to learn to sew and hoping to find my sewing machine very soon. I have to echo what you have commented here I have to have something to do all the time too. I can't loll around and not be doing something.
      I also totally agree with you there are certainly much worse things to be addicted too. :-)

      Amanda x

      Delete
  6. Love that alphabet cushion - so awesome!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog and lovely to have you join me there! :)

    I do hope the cushion back is going ok and I don't distract you too much

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have C.A.D but definately K.A.D! My knitting goes everywhere with me, friends are quite happy for me to knit when I go round for dinner or drinks, I've even been known to do it at gigs and the cinema :)

    I also seem to be a bit addicted to my blog at the moment, ravelry and pinterest! All is good in moderation I think - and it's ok to keep our hands busy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Faye.
    Thank you for following my blog. How do you manage to sit in the cinema and knit in the dark??? Ok next time I'm in Bristol (I lived there for awhile) and I hear the click click of needles in a cinema I know its you :-)

    Idem....I am beginning to notice an addicitve pull towards my blog...just got my invite from pinterest but not sure how to use it yet.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)