Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 1 December 2021

Lenny boy

 

"Variety is the very spice of life ,that gives it all its flavour",William Cowper 18th cent poet

I know that is a well-worn cliche but it seemed appropriate for my post today as it is rather a mix of topics. 

I also find it quite curious where some of these quotations come from. I have to admit I like to find out the whys and where froms of idioms and quotes. 


A dog with personality and a mind of his own ๐Ÿ•


I thought I would tell you about Lenny. He isn't my dog but my sister's dog. His antics do make me laugh!   Lenny is a young dog and has just had his second birthday


The birthday boy!   That is the red bow I crocheted for him. My sister tells me he doesn't mind wearing the bow at all but I am not so sure as he does look a little forlorn in this photo. He is probably thinking, "Jeez what I have to put up with ... a flipping red bow."  LOL!

Now this Lenny boy is a bit stubborn and pretty lazy. He is definitely a city lad! My sister lives in Torquay, South Devon and there are lots of lovely walks there to the coast, the beaches and also plenty of beautiful country walks too. She likes to get lots of exercise and takes Lenny out several times a day. As far as Lenny is concerned that is fine for doing his business and chasing the ball a bit in the park but other than that... there is public transport one can use instead of partaking of his human's fanatical urge to walk everywhere!  

Lenny has bus rides on the mind! 

Where there is a bus stop he stubbornly SITS to let his human know he is exhausted and cannot possibly walk any further!  Although my sister tries to avoid all bus stops Lenny joyfully even tries to cross the road dragging his human with him to get to that bus stop! 




Heaven forbid that a bus draws near when they are on a zebra crossing because he automatically SITS or tries to drag his human to the door of the bus.

I do have to say though in his favour that he is very protective of his home and will warn strangers or invaders loud and clear that it is HIS home! Mind you if said stranger should be allowed into the home he will launch a frenetic licking attack just so they know that he is in control. 

He patrols daily the inside perimeter of his home warning passersby that he is on home security patrol duty. Should said passerby get too near to his human's living room window then his body language comes into effect to warn them of the dire circumstances should they try to pass that barrier!


 Can you see who has invaded Lenny's personal space on the other side of the glass?

 

Lenny does have friends who pop round now and again to see if he wishes to play. 

"I am invading your personal space Lennyyyyy na na na naaaaa"



I am looking forward to meeting Lenny in person 
in the flesh next year.



Baby Orchid 

For those blog friends who have showed an interests in how to separate a baby orchid from the mother plant, transfer and pot the babe.

Materials: Orchid potting mix(bark). a small transparent pot, a sharp knife, water, kitchen roll.



These are the instructions my sister sent me who received the details from her teacher:

The babe needs to have at least two 2 inch approx aerial roots before pulling off of the mother plant. Wet area of baby root and pull off very carefully.  If you find it is not coming away from the mother plant easily then use a sharp knife.  Slice down root area very carefully but do not cut the baby's roots at all.

Add soil (Orchid soil is mostly bark so it is very loose) in a small transparent pot. Small as in very small as orchids like to feel snug and cosy in their pots. Don't bury the babe in the soil just gently cover it with soil, light layers and the aerial roots leave them don't try to push them into the soil as they will break off.

I haven't potted my babe as yet. I think the pot I have bought is too big (see above). 

I also have to find out from my sister or online when to water it and how much, also the light conditions.

Since posting this yesterday I have been looking at video clips online to see how to water the baby plant. There are lots of videoclips giving advice and tips of how to do this but this one in particular clarified some of the doubts I have. It also contradicts parts of these instructions I have posted here but that is fine I expect everyone has their own way of doing this. All the same I think I am going to go with cutting the stalk a little bit below the Baby plant itself when separating it from the Mother plant as advised in the video clip.



I found this VC easy to follow.



By the way I have read that it will help to heal the plant if you add cinnamon powder on the bare cuts when pulling the babe away from the mother plant 

Surprise! I do believe I have another babe on its way on the same mother plant.





Crocheted Christmas gnome impersonating a Christmas card







I just need to find a little "Merry Christmas" sticker and my card  Tree gnome will be on its way.


Replies to comments from my previous post completed








Happy Blogging


Amanda :-)



30 comments:

  1. I don't even KNOW Lenny and I love him. The bus stop thing is hilarious!!!!

    Good luck with your baby orchid. I noticed one of mine has sprouted a shoot off the bloom stem! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dog is a case. My sister has been telling me about his reluctance to have his muddy paws washed. I feel another post about Lenny will be in the writing soon LOL! A x

      Delete
  2. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃbrilliant as always xxx love reading it thank you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Honoria for dropping by and for your kind comments ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  3. Lenny, Lenny, Lenny. He is brilliant! How smart to know what the bus stop looks like and refuses to move until he gets on the bus!
    The little crochet gnome is wonderful too. He looks like a happy gnome. I have no idea how that can be since he has no face to speak of. :-). I just love him.
    Wishing you a wonderful day my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a happy gnome Betsy! It is his beard you know as he doesn't like having it trimmed at all LOL! Lenny is a case...bone lazy but so funny! Happy December. A x

      Delete
  4. A very happy post. Both Lenny and the Tree gnome are real characters.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellie, I thought so too and both are fun to write about :-). A x

      Delete
  5. Oh what a lovely dog you can see he has loads of character. Your gnome is so cute and so much nicer than a Christmas card. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, My sister has just received her gnome "card " I wanted to do a few more for other members of the family but I just haven't got the time as I have other Christmas makes to finish. It´s a bit like what you mentioned in your last post :-). A x

      Delete
  6. Lenny is amazing. He deserves the bow and every other good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kim ,thanks for popping by. Lenny really is a bright spark. A x

      Delete
  7. A lovely, cheerful post, Amanda! Lenny is nothing if not entertaining. Will he come to visit you soon (or you him)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris,Thank you for calling in :-). I hope to finally meet Lenny next May when I go over to the UK for my nephew's wedding. A x

      Delete
  8. Hi I enjoyed your post-Lenny seems to have quite the personality-quite fun.
    Loved the gnome-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, Lenny is a case...bone lazy but really funny! A x

      Delete
  9. Lenny is a very clever dog! The gnome is very cute. I love orchids. I must buy one so I can try this. Does it work with all orchids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello SM thank you for calling in and for your kind comments. Lenny is indeed a bright spark! I am not sure if this way to separate the baby from the Mother plant is used for all orchids. I have only have moth orchids at present. A x

      Delete
  10. What a character!!
    And so is the gnome - he's great.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just! I am looking forward to meeting him and taking him for walks! A x

      Delete
  11. Lenny is a hoot. Don't think he'd be a big fan of public transport here. :) We barely even have crosswalks and pedestrians do not have the right of way unless someone with common sense is behind the wheel of any vehicle and actually cares. When someone stops to let me cross the street, I'm always amazed and grateful. Pretty sure orchids would not do well in our place. Tinted windows mean low natural light at all times so the plants I do have survive rather than actually thrive. Cute gnome. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy,Thank you for dropping by :-). I don't use public transport much here but I don't thinks dogs are allowed on the buses here either. I know they aren't allowed in the shops but I think that is a general rule in most countries. When I first came to Spain to live in the late 70s it was a matter of risking your life to cross the road using a zebra crossing. Over the years and after Spain entered the EU road safety became more civilised and they respect a zebra crossing more so nowadays. A x

      Delete
  12. My partners Uncle lives in Torquay how neat ๐Ÿ˜€❤ Lenny protecting against squirrel lol
    Cute gnome card ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐ŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right! The last snapshot my sister sent me got me thinking... it looks as if the squirrel is taunting the dog to come and bark at him LOL! A x

      Delete
  13. Great fun dog is Lenny and so smart.
    I didn't know you could repot a baby orchid thanks for your photos. Your Christmas gnome is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind comments. Nor did I Loes! It is my sister who has all the know how about orchids as she is an ardent gardener. She also attends a course on how to grow orchids. A x

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the orchid info - I have several of those little growths appearing and didn't even realise they were baby plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't separated mine from the mother plant. I am finding orchid compost difficult to buy at present as it seems to have disappeared from the usual shops I go to. I'll have to go further afield. )-: A x

      Delete
  15. Love Lenny
    What do you do?
    All my orchids die

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in :-). See you on VC and I'll explain. A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)