Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 20 April 2022

Water fun

 


Mother Nature did us proud early this morning as I was woken up by the sound of a gloriously loud thunder storm and it has continued raining since. The reservoirs,lakes and subterranean aquifers that Alicante province is so famous for must be overflowing with all the rain we have been getting throughout April. Even the dried up rivers here near the city have come to life again.  As for snow, just like Chris has mentioned on her blog over there in Canada, there have been heavy snow falls in Asturias and Galicia in the Northern regions of Spain. 

Rain is forecast for all this week here in the Southern part of the Valencian region.


Over Easter we had wonderfully warm weather and we got out as much as possible. The city and coastal resorts were packed with tourists from abroad and domestic tourism so we avoided the beaches. 

Last Saturday morning I went for a two hour walk along the road to the Palm grove park


Walking along the Road



A bit of a pause to get rid of my cardi...far too warm for it!

It was very busy there at the Palm Grove park but mostly at and near the picnic area so I found a quiet corner and sat down to have a quickie video chat via whatsapp with my sister in the UK. 



I had also come prepared and had a nice cup of tea and a little snack. 



It was quite peaceful there and although I was tired from the walk it did my back good as the pain was reduced to a twinge or two. 






Easter Sunday we went for a leisurely walk in the Sea Port park which is,as you know, one of our favourite Parks.  I have posted about it quite a bit here on my blog. 




It was really splendid, everything in full bloom and the red of the bottle brush trees was outstanding. We even saw a medlar fruit tree heavily laden with fruit. 


Medlar tree






It was so warm that some little lads just couldn't resist playing in the water shooting up in from the fountains and they weren't the only ones either keen to cool off.







C the boys' Mother kindly gave her permission for these photos to be taken and posted here 




We also later treated ourselves to a Toña Alicantina for tea which is very popular over Easter here. It is like a giant sized bun and I always think it is similar in taste to a hot cross bun but not quite so spicy. 

You can get six generous slices out of this Toña that is if Sr P doesn't get to it first😁




As always crochet:


My niece C in Point Vernon, Queensland has asked me to make her some doilies for her new home.

This is the first one. It is small nine inches in size in fact so I plan to make another one just the same so she has the pair;a mini doily set. I will then go on to do a few larger ones.  

I am using a 1,75 hook and as usual my favourite Katia Jaipur cotton. I used a free pattern that I found on pinterest called Ray of Sunshine.



I have just finished blocking it and have lightly starched it with a starch spray. I really don't like starching anything very much but a light starch helps it to to keep its shape .




Replies to previous post comments completed 🌈





Happy Blogging


Amanda 🌤





30 comments:

  1. The doily is beautiful. You chose perfect colors for sunny Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee :-). I find white or cream doilies pretty bland looking. There is such a variation of colours to choose from nowadays so...why not! A x

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the flora around you on your walks. It is good to hear that your back didn't suffer from the walking. It is good that you can walk as people weren't designed to do all the sitting that we all do!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Ellie! I bet prehistoric man was really fit! A x

      Delete
  3. My goodness didn´t it rain this morning, had to change my plans, then it brightened for a while then an absolute deluge this afternoon. Still saves watering!. Love your photographic tour, we do have some lovely plants in the area. Your doily is so pretty xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Chrissie. I have neglected you I will get cracking and reply soon. A x

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a smashing walk. I like that you took your own provisions, money saved is money earned. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! The prices have risen enormously here and my sister tells me it's the same in the UK . I get the impression that all the shops are trying to make up for their economical losses throughout COVID byt putting up the prices and we the shoppers are feeling the brunt of it. The Ukraine-Russian war is another reason for this too. A x

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful doily it's a long time since I have crocheted with such fine cotton. The Park looks lovely with all it's lush new growth and beautiful flowers. I'm glad that you enjoyed your Easter that rather large bun looks quite tempting. We haven't had that much rain in April I have a feeling April showers will come late for us and we will have a wet May. I hope that your back continues to improve, take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a hoard of fine crochet thread. I bought quite a bit during the sales. I think it is going to last me for years! We brought another Toña (Bun) today...really must stop doing this :-). Back much better lately thanks. A x

      Delete
  6. Well done with all the walking and it is amazing how a walk can ease back pain :)
    The doilies look lovely - she will be pleased with them I am sure! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :-) My back is much better lately. A x

      Delete
  7. I imagine this time of year must be one of the pleasant times weatherwise, without the heat of summer. I can tell you are taking advantage of the lovely days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Chris although we are having a lot of rain lately. The Spanish hide away from it but I don't mind having a good walk in the rain. A good mac and waterproof hat and off I go :-). A x

      Delete
  8. Cup of tea and a snack. That is my kind of walk!
    The doily looks gorgeous. I have some patterns for this kind of work but not game to work with such a small hook yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice cuppa hot tea revived me to face the walk back in the midday sun. If it had been July I think I would have had to crawl the last kilometre home. :-). A x

      Delete
  9. I stand resolute in my affection for rain and rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true...Breathing in clean fresh air is a treat! A x

      Delete
  10. Hi Amanda, The doily looks like the same cotton you used for my beautiful mandala you made when we moved. I love it and it hangs right across from my knitting chair. It's SO cheerful and happy. Thank you again for the gift of lovliness I get to enjoy every day.
    We had COLD weather today but it's supposed to be 90F on Friday. It also rained all day here today. The weather has been absolutely strange here this spring.
    We have been watching a show on youtube called "A Place in the Sun" and it has had several episodes in the Alicante region. It makes us want to buy a vacation home in the area. It looks so beautiful but then I knew that already from your blog and the photos that you share with us.
    I hope you have a lovely Thursday my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you continue to like like the mandala. It was a pleasure to make it for you. I count myself lucky that I live in such a beautiful part of the Mediterranean. Hopefully we will find our seaside home one day. A x

      Delete
  11. Nature takes a deep, refreshing breath after rain, doesn't it?

    Lovely photos, as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed and its such a pleasure to go walking after a storm. A x

      Delete
  12. I know from our Italian experiences rain is welcome as it refreshes the plants and fills up the water tanks and other natural places. You've some pretty parks. Love your doily - such intricate work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Linda. This dry arid Mediterranean soil certainly appreciates the rain and the green springs up overnight after a storm. A x

      Delete
  13. That is one big bun!!! I want to taste it! Your bott1e brush p1ants are beautifu1. A11 the f1owers are. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Kathy :-). I could send you one of those buns for you to try but I suspect with the post being as it is it would be as hard as rock when it finally got to you! There again I am pretty sure customs just wouldn't let it through either...LOL! I was told the other day that those Bottle Brush trees originate from Australia which was a bit of a let down because I thought they were a Mediterranean tree. Well not so but anyhow they really are gorgeous! A x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that doily, so pretty. I'm still slogging on with my throw, one last tile to make and then the put together.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Briony :-) It is going to be such a fabulous throw though. I just love the design! A x

      Delete
  16. So much fun going on, Amanda! Love the makes and photos and picnic on the bench. Do send some rain over, if you have some to spare.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good morning and really lovely weather. Good to hear the children laughing and enjoying themselves. I have sent rain over today we have plenty to spare :-). A x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)