Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Sunday 9 March 2014

A Me! Me!


This is a post about looking out for Number 1 or to clarify concentrating on oneself for once.

I cannot tell all until this blocking is finished but you can see it is a trim so wonder away for the moment. Neither is it something out of this world but I must admit I feel quite pleased that I have managed to do something for myself.
Trims blocked this morning before going out for our walk. The front room windows left open hoping the trims will dry nice and quick.







***************************
However I am learning to draw the line now at out of the immediate family requests from neighbours,students and friends of my daughter.In fact I find it quite amazing the audacity of some people " I'll pay you for the yarn of course" of course you would have to Mrs I don't know your name friend of my daughter no mention of my time or how much do you charge. Why do some people think you can whisk something up for them in a jiffy and for free??   I have now got to the point where I reply politely I do occasionally accept orders.Do you want me to give you a price?  However to date no one has got back to me when I say that!!!   Fine with me as I don't really want to take any orders as yet.


Sunday morning stroll and what a glorious Sunday morning too. We went for a walk to the city centre and then down to the Postiguet beach not really worrying about time or where we were going…letting off steam and brushing the cobwebs away…the best of walks!!


Luceros Plaza. Alicante City Centre

Bit hazy…sorry!
Luceros Plaza built in the 20s and the impressive fountain built in 1930.
The horses at the base of the fountain represent the four wandering stars;Dawn,Morning,Afternoon and Evening…..and the horse symbol also represents abundance and generosity. The Horse was considered in some legends and mythology to be a water divinity, having the ability to make water flow from the soil on striking the earth with its hooves!



Postiguet beach. Alicante City.
Lots of people had the same idea as we did and there were several people swimming although I thought the wind was quite cold.


Bit hazy again….mobile phone shots!!!

Postiguet beach again  and bridge over to the old quarter of the town.



Hope you are all having a lovely relaxing Sunday!!!!



Amanda :-)

20 comments:

  1. Looks as if you are having some lovely sunshine Amanda, but actually, I am not too jealous as the weather has been glorious here for the last day or two. Wonderful to spend time out in the garden without a coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne
      Bright days continue but nasty cold wind too! Still I always think if there is sun you can ignore the rest.
      Totally agree with you nothing better than sitting out in the garden and having a quiet moment!

      A x

      Delete
  2. I'm right with you there Amanda, so many people ask me to knit for them. I'm wondering how much to charge. BUT I love to knit and create things as a hobby. If I'm being paid to, I might resent it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People don't realise how much time goes into crocheting or knitting an item requires. Great walk.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. With a stroll like this, who needs a vacation, lol :)

    It does amaze me how easily people take advantage of others. I think you've found the right answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena
      I know Lena I continue to be so surprised at how cheeky some people can be about using others.
      I must say I'm lucky to live in a place like Alicante.

      A x

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see some sunshine!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicante looks lovely, I really loved reading through the guide you included in my swap parcel.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do live in a gorgeous place! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see your doing something for yourself. I enjoyed 'virtually' coming along on your walk. I wish I could wake up everyday to see somewhere so pretty. Have a lovely week.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda,

    Oh how beautiful Alicante is; would love to visit one day, even though it's probably very similar to Crete in climate and geography. Walking is certainly the best type of exercise, next to swimming in the summer, and you are equipped with spaces for both of these past times. Love the cultural tidbit about the four wandering stars; so fitting!

    Have a lovely week ahead!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your pictures of Alicante are beautiful. I love the horses and fountain. It never fails to amaze me how people take advantage too. One of my most favorite thing to do is make something for someone that I know they'll love. Probably 95%, (no I'm not exaggerating), of what I make is given away, either to a friend, someone I know who needs a lift, or for charity. I think you've come up with a wonderful answer. Your trim looks gorgeous too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous beach! We are home from the palm trees in Florida and in the snow again> Your images are soothing. Ha! People think we knit things up so swiftly..we make it look easy. They could never pay us for our time…no one could afford us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures Amanda and I do like your trim, the cheek of some people! I think you gave the right answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your trim looks very nice !! Thanks for sharing pics! That's not right when people demand like that. If they want they should order professionally checking for the rates first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let me tell you, Amanda, I am going to have to stop reading your blog. You just make me too homesick! LOL Alicante looks as gorgeous as always. Beautiful pictures! I miss home soooooo much! :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite is if I buy the Yarn can you make__insert object here______ Like that's all it takes my time and effort mean nothing. And although my kids are not expected to pay a dime I do it for them with love just one time when I say for whatever celebration like yesterday was my birthday I say Yarn makes me happy. My daughter bought me chocolate well that's second best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear that all the time, and it is usually about a very complicated knitted sweater. Sure I will knit for hours and hours so you can have a beautiful sweater for free, oh I forgot you will give the yarn, thanks! I say no, it has gotten much easier.
    Love the photos today, I enjoyed your walk.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty edging - looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I don't think none-crafters realise how much time goes into making an item! You are so lucky to live by the sea, such a beautiful place to unwind. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your edging is lovely. I'm trying one with beads added for a gift for my sister--you're my inspiration. Enjoy your sunshine; beautiful photos, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)