Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Friday 4 December 2020

...and on this particular day

 

  A unique Christmas card!!!  I have received my first Christmas card this year in a very special way! This creative idea has come from a dear blogfriend,Teresa Krasner  who has sent us her hand written Christmas greetings through are wonderful blog community.  Thank you so much Teresa for this very special Christmas card!

Teresa writing the card to us 

Following Teresa's instructions which you can read about here on her blog. I have downloaded the two sides of the card, printed it out ,backed it with some light card and there you have it ...

 


 Teresa's card is here in my home in Alicante,Spain....just over there across the pond. Much quicker than snail mail!!😁

 πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²

 

 

It has become a tradition in this household to put up the Christmas Tree on my daughter's birthday 4th December.... today!!  I don't always manage to do so but this year time is not a factor....so relaxing to indicate that!! ⏰πŸ˜€

 So here we have it all ready to bring some colour and sparkle into our lives... 

 


That trussed sausage looking parcel is my Christmas tree!!! I have had it for 33 years and it  still looks good!!🌲

I see Rudolph who has been hibernating with all the Christmas stuff has lost a bell so I shall have to do a bit of stitching ......once I find his bell!!



 I thoroughly enjoy celebrating Christmas! It is something I did not have during a large part of my childhood (that is another story),so I have made the most of it since I have had my own family.  In my case Christmas is about the family being together,the shine and excitement in the children's eyes...and some adults too. It seems as if everyone's smiles are extra bright at Christmas. It is about the music,the laughter and sweet memories of loved ones who have passed on.  Many of you quite possibly, including myself ,may not be able to celebrate Christmas this year with all your family as you would wish. Nevertheless,at present it is sufficient for me to know that my family who I cherish are safe and well and that there will be many more Christmasses to come where we will all be back together again. 

 

Rolling candles!!

Google image

I was thrilled that Teresa had posted a tutorial on her blog on how to roll candles. I have been keen to learn how to make candles for quite awhile now and when I saw how easy it seems to make candles using beeswax sheets I thought it would be a perfect start for me.  I later had the idea to have a candle making morning with my grand-daughter over the Christmas holidays. Since then I have been searching online for the beeswax sheets and I have found them but the original yellow ones and not the coloured sheets. Understandably I want to purchase them from here in Spain because of postage costs but at present I have not been successful. I shall certainly try the UK if I  can't find the coloured sheets here...do hope I find them.    It seems others have enjoyed Teresa's tutorial as I see Gracie on One Saylor's log is planning to roll candles too!    Anyone else out there doing the same??



Las Puertas de Alicante (The Doors of Alicante) NΒΊ 1.

  Fabulous door!!     What do you think?

 


 

As mentioned in a previous post I have a thing about taking and collecting photos of doors!!!

This is the door to a Mansion called Casa Carbonell built in the Baroque revival architecture style in the 1920s for Enrique Carbonell, a rich industrialist from Alicante. 

 


 The Mansion. 

However it has never been a Mansion as such but was from the very start divided into apartments which were sold off or rented out. On each floor there are 4 very large apartments. My daughter during her student years used to baby sit for a family who had one of these flats and I remember her telling me that it was really big and had servant quarters too. Understandably they are very expensive to rent or buy that is if and when any ever become available!

There is rather an interesting and somewhat amusing tale about this Mansion and its owner which I will tell you about in another post soon. 

 

Rain and Food:

 We are definitely feeling the Autumn chill here although the sun is shining. We had torrential rain last Friday ....which I think is good....Alicante needs it!!!

 


This was taken last Friday from my kitchen window....it pelted down!!

 I made a liver and bacon casserole to chase the chills away πŸ˜€☂☂☂

 


Instead of Christmas Cards


These two RAOCKs are going to be my Christmas cards to my sister in the UK. 

 

 

 

 

I very much prefer sending something I have made to my family rather than just buying a card.

 





How about that for a Christmas tree???

Found on Facebook. Norfolk UK




Hope you all have a smashing weekend

Keep well

 

Amanda :-)

 




35 comments:

  1. Some great photos there - lots to enjoy. I particularly like the amazing door and the Norfolk Christmas tree, which made me smile, on a rainy, grey, snowy day in the UK.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!! All worth it then if it made you smile :-) A x

      Delete
  2. Those RAOCKs are lovely and will be treasured for years. I love home made decorations.
    I've been getting into the Christmas spirit by making 3D paper stars/snowflakes. Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly8Pa0TwhNU
    That's a very grand door and an amazing mansion. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HH :-) I am always looking for something new to make!! I get bored very quickly so I rarely repeat a make. Really beautiful stars. Incredible what you can make with a bit of paper. A x

      Delete
  3. Good morning Amanda, what a very fun post to read. Have fun decorating for Christmas-that's awesome that you still have the same tree all those years. what a unique idea for sending out Christmas cards-over the years I have made my own cards and mailed them-I enjoyed doing that. last year I sent our regular cards but I found cards made in the USA. this year not sure yet-better get busy though lol
    Not familiar with making candles like that-I will look into that. we have had cold and allot of rain here this past week. enjoyed your photos with doors too Happy Friday hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Amanda-yes dipping chocolate with grand children would be fun for sure! yo can also dip pretzels and even the thicker potato chips-and add sprinkles on top before the chocolate dries

      Delete
    2. Brilliant ideas Kathy......I am looking forward to doing that! A x

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to your daughter and those Christmas items are lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa is very clever to think of that, it's a lovely card, I'll have to look into the candle rolling i've never heard of that before. I think it's amazing that you have had your tree for so long but why not if it's still ok, looking back when I was a kid we had the same tree throughout my childhood except for one year we bought a real one but my Mother didn't like it because it shed pine needles all over the place. I didn't bother with one last year and I won't be this year either, I'll put my little crochet bunting up and some bits and pieces and that will do. it would be different if I had family or little ones coming but it won't be happening this year. That is a fabulous door and that tree is great too. Your sister is going to love the RAOCKS much nicer than a card. Have a lovely week.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda. I hope you are having a lovely week too. I have unwrapped the tree and noticed it is bent and several branches have fallen off so I am thinking this is the last year for this tree...which is a shame because it holds so many Christmas memories! I shall buy another tree but I think I will get a smaller one. A x

      Delete
  6. I see you took Teresa's idea to heart! Good for you, and look, our card is on the top of the pile in your photo! Her candle tutorial was reallly good too.
    I'm looking forward to reading more about the mansion in an upcoming post. I love buildings like that. I'm sure your family will be thrilled to get your RAOCK instead of a card. I know I would. :-)
    Have fun decorating. We always decorating on Dec. 7 as it is Alex's birthday. This year we did it before Thanksgiving just because we felt the year needed it.
    Have a wonderful day my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, thanks for stopping by. I did see your card on top of the pile :-) I enjoyed doing Teresa's card. I don't get a lot of cards nowadays more e-cards or whatsapp text. Which is all fine as long as we are remembered by the family and friends :-) I shall be commenting about the mansion in my next post. A x

      Delete
  7. That's very inventive of somebody, making that tree out of what looks like lobster pots.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Your Daughter!
    Bee's wax candles we made in school.Lots of fun. Thank you for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!! I just hope I can get hold of the beeswax sheets I am after. A x

      Delete
  9. Your ROACK's are always beautiful Amanda. That door is rather stunning I agree. I look forward to seeing your Christmas tree all up & decorated. Yes I have been mending lots of my christmas decorations that I have been meaning to attend to for years now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie. I also look forward to your next post.. as you do not disappoint! They are always so interesting and delightful!! A x

      Delete
  10. Hello dear Amanda! How fun that you printed up my card, I think you are the only one who did it so far! I did a screen shot of your post and will put it no my blog on Monday and post a link to your blog!! Fun fun! I do hope you find some colored sheets of beeswax there. I got mine on Amazon. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your daughter!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *********************************************
    *H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
    *********************************************

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, I enjoyed doing it and for me it made our contact via blog much more personalised. I have been looking on Amazon Spain and still only found the original beeswax sheet no coloured. The only coloured sheets were small ones to cut up and add to candles. Not really the same. I shall keep looking! A x

      Delete
  11. Those ornaments are super wonderful cards for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Kathy.....hand made are so much more personalised! A x

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday to your daughter! The tradition of putting up and decorating the Christmas tree on her special day is a good one. I've set up ours close to the window so that passers by can enjoy it. Also our local grandchildren can see it and the other decorations as they're not able to come close because of the restrictions in our region due to the virus. You're right that it's a relief to know family are keeping well during these challenging days. I know that you'll be keeping busy with your crafting and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Linda! Mother would always place the Christmas tree in the front room window. I so wish I could do that here but it just isn't possible in the flat. I remember the long road I lived in in Minehead,Somerset as a child and all the kids would walk up and down the street admiring the Christmas trees in the front room windows...such fun and so chistmassy!! A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about Christmas. The lights, the food, the music and the friendship. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas even if it's not the way most of us would have planned for this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean then don't you? Christmas is fab!! Have a great time!! A x

      Delete
  15. Very Christmasy post today. Hope you are staying safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fine here Mere thanks....although there is an icy polar wind blowing like mad outside this evening. It is quite chilly so I just may get an extra blanket out! A x

      Delete
  16. I love the fisherman's Christmas tree and your own knitted tree is equally adorable. It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia. I do like originality and that tree is that! It is!!!! A x

      Delete
  17. Hi mum ,great ideas for Christmas deco,thanks Joy for my birthday's best whishes.Like the card idea ,pity that I do not have a printer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi daughter NΒΊ 1!! Santa might bring you a printer if you are really good!! A x

      Delete
  18. Thanks to Linda and Teresa for
    their birthday whishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for wishing me Happy Birthday Salty Pumpkin studio

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)