Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 26 January 2022

Wet Streets

 


What a difference from last Sunday! The blue skies have gone and we have rain and temperatures have dropped.

 We set out a bit late so we thought a wander through the centre of Alicante would be best.   It seems everyone else had the same idea and cafes were very busy. Mostly outside on the terrace. I am glad to see that the majority of the people are diligently wearing masks. 

I asked Sr P to pick the route as we walked and I would stop to take photos of the streets along the way.




So no blue skies and it had just stopped raining as I mentioned previously. It was a moody Alicante City today! Mind you I don't understand when some people say rain makes them melancholy as I enjoy a walk in the rain or after it has rained. It is as if everything has had a good wash  and the air is crisper and fresher too. 

This promenade leads up to the shopping centre so we didn't go all the way up there.

 I followed Sr P when he turned right down the road to the Gabriel Miro Gardens taking photographs as we walked. 









I nearly got run over while I was taking this snapshot due to standing in the middle of this road 😜!   Totally my own fault I forgot it wasn't a pedestrian zone there. 



It looked as if it was going to rain again and it did but just a drop or two 😀

All these little streets turn off into the esplanade and lead to the port and also the Postiguet Beach. I always say that you can't get lost in Alicante City because all you have to do is keep walking down to the sea and the port to get your bearings.




Gabriel Miro garden and park isn't very big but it is lovely and quite a surprise when you come around the corner of the main Post Office and this jumps into view. A bit like a breath of fresh air among the agglomeration of tall official looking buildings.






Mind you if one should think the tall buildings that surround this garden dominate the view you just need to turn towards the grandeur of the huge Ficus trees that are in this park! They are enormous!  I must say they do love their Ficus trees here!  







They also hold numerous craft markets in this garden throughout the year. During the last market before COVID there was a beautiful display of lace for sale. There were also some lacemakers from Novelda ,a small town in Alicante province, who were demonstrating how it is done. 





It brings back fond memories as my mother used to make Honiton Lace.






Remember now Sr P was organising the walk so of course he lead me towards the old
quarter of the city  where he is from. However, this time we went a different way past the back door of the town hall in the Mayor Street and up to Santa Maria Church.






We didn't stop or go into the church as we go there so very often but continued on up Villavieja Street 






I thought this curious little altar in the wall of the Church dedicated to the Santa Faz (the Holy Face) was well worth a photograph.




One of the narrow streets leading up to the Santa Barbara Castle.  This is where we finally turned around and made our way back to the car as we were more than ready to go home for lunch.


🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳





Baby blanket parcel on its way to Australia.  I so hope it gets there before baby arrives at the end of February.




Replies to comments on my previous post complete












Happy Blogging


Amanda 😊









 





30 comments:

  1. Amanda, I 1ove the HO1Y Face photo you took to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I took it Kathy. I thought you would find it interesting A x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking us on your walk Amanda, I love the rain too but we get maybe just a bit too much of it over here, I love the tree and the old quarter looks so beautiful in the rain. Here's hoping that your baby blanket gets there in time. Take Care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure. I am very lucky that I live in such an interesting place and there always seems to be something new to photograph :-) A x

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda, I really enjoyed the tour of this city. I love a soft rain too if it is warm outdoors, just bring a freshness to everything. for a tall building that one is pretty cool looking. and loved seeing the tree. beautiful area there Happy Midweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Kathy for your kind comments. Although it rained that day the city and the light wasn't so good nevertheless a walk in the rain did us the world of good. A x

      Delete
  4. I love to take walks around Alicante City with you Amanda. Rain always freshens things up unless it's very humid too. Those ficus trees are really something aren't they? They remind me of the trees on Maui that spread outward with intertwined branches.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your walk - you found some wonderful things. I like going out after it has rained, especially if it has been humid. That is a beautiful tree!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure Ellie! I always seem to find something to photograph in this city. Even if it is the same places but in a new light. A x

      Delete
  6. I love the photo of the Holy Face.

    You live in a gorgeous city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dee! It is unusual and after all the years of going to Santa Maria Church and walking past that wall umpteen times I had never noticed it :-). A x

      Delete
  7. I love looking at photos taken by locals rather than the official tourism pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professional photographs that are usually retouched by image editing apps are all very well if they need to sell Alicante on the numerous tourist sites but I am no professional and do not aim to be. I like to take snapshots real time and what catches my eye. In other words what I see is what you get LOL. A x

      Delete
  8. Y'all live in a beautiful place. The ficus tree is huge! I didn't realize they grown that large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either and they seem to like them a lot here as you can find them in most parks. A x

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful town, so many great photo ops. It must be lovely to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris,Thanks for dropping by. I am really lucky to live in this part of Spain. It is a really mild climate just a few really cold days per year. A x

      Delete
  10. Love the photos of your town, it must invite you to many wonderful walks. It is cold and rainy here as well, proper winter.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, Thank you for dropping by. After all the years I have lived here it is amazing that I still find places to photograph but that is the case...I do :-). A x

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your walk. Alicante always looks adorable even in the rain. Have a wonderful new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for calling in Anabelia. I count myself very lucky that I live in such a wonderful city. Alicante "La Ciudad de la Luz"! A x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so fresh and clean after a shower. I love the balconies around that building. Enjoy your day! Stay safe and well. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous having this walk in a lovely place

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love a good downpour and in truth can't remember the last time we had one. The garden is surprisingly dry for the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for popping in Cherie. It is like spring at the moment here...very false Spring because the cold will be back again :-). A x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)