Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 19 January 2022

What is wrong with ...?

 ...the post

Whatever  is wrong with the postal service?   It is worse than ever. 



I sent Christmas cards to my family in Australia the first week of December and they still haven't received them! I sent my nephew in Australia a parcel on 22nd November and he still hasn't received it!   My sister sent me a parcel from the UK to Spain on 8th December and I still haven't received it either. I know there have been delays due to COVID throughout the whole of the Pandemic and post has taken longer than usual but never this long!

I went into the Post Office yesterday and had a chat with a very nice lady there. She said they were very short of staff all over the country,all due to Omicron/Covid and she said it has hit other countries too so that seems to confirm what I thought and is the main reason for the delay. I really don't understand why the Post Office doesn't employ temporary staff to cover the ones off sick. There are plenty of people unemployed and looking for work! I imagine that would be extra expense but at least you keep the postal service going properly. They don't seem to want to do that instead their staff is doing overtime and any minute now will go down sick too due to being overworked! 

I shall definitely be sending my baby blanket for my niece by registered post as I don't want it lost not after all the expense,time and effort of making it.

I am super pleased how this blanket turned out! 



The colours I used coincide with the colour scheme my niece has used in her nursery. I always ask the mother to choose the colours she wants and sometimes suggest others. I also like to mention to her what those colours symbolise and the following details is what I shall be sending to my niece.

GREEN : a new beginning, connecting to nature 

ORANGE: Joy and good health

CREAM: Comfort

BROWN : Security and safety

PALE GREY : Wisdom

The blanket pattern is from Repeat Crafter Me . I used a Hook 6.00 and Aran yarn throughout. I did tweek it a little! I gave it a sc border and didn't add tassels. I don't put tassels on baby blankets. I have this image in my mind of baby's little fingers getting entangled in the tassels. so that puts me off using them on baby blankets or shawls. 

The little grey bow was an extra 😊






Usual Sunday walk

We didn't go too far afield last Sunday just on top of the cliffs near the Lighthouse and Skywalk that I mentioned in my last post .










We continue to think we are eventually going to sell our four bedroom apartment in Alicante City and downsize to a two bedroom apartment or bungalow near the beach. At one time we had thought to do so in this area as we like it very much. However, one has to be sensible and we aren't getting any younger! Although it is a lovely area and the beach is just at the bottom of the hill, it is a steep climb back up and we have decided it just wouldn't be practical to live up here on top of the cliffs. 









Bit bigger than the one I have in my balcony garden
🌵


Replies to comments in last post completed 🌴









Happy blogging


Amanda :-)

39 comments:

  1. The blanket is lovely and I'm sure will be greatly appreciated. Post getting delayed seems to be worldwide at the moment. Those blue skies in your photos look very inviting and that's a fabulous cactus. I hope your post gets to its destination soon!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie. It is now on its way to Australia by registered post. My nephew in Queensland finally received his parcel. It took two months to get to him! A x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blanket!
    Happy House Hunting!
    Moving is such a major decision. I hope you find a perfect new dream home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-). It is taking us quite some time to find the place we are looking for. Unfortunately we are so comfortable in our home that up to now nothing seems as good as that. A x

      Delete
  3. Beautiful views Amanda but I agree maybe a little too far to climb but exciting to look for your new home. I'm sorry to hear all your parcels are taking so long to reach their destination very frustrating to say the least. I love the blanket, I have yet to try a c2c with a picture but with grandchild number two due in August I think this would be just the thing it's so cute. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it up their on the cliffs and there are some lovely properties there too. We have wanted to live there for quite some years but it just isn’t sensible to do so now we are retired. At present we have turned our sights on to some new apartments being built at the bottom of the mountain. As it is we can’t think of moving until the COVID disperses and we back living a normal life again. A x

      Delete
  4. The blanket for your niece is so beautiful Amanda & I adore the colours she has chosen. Also adore the wee grey bow !!! Yes our postal service is extremely slow here too ... I ordered something from Australia & it finally got here after 6 long weeks! I could fly there in 4 hours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie 😊 That practically confirms it then because my sister who lives in Queensland said her parcel to her grand-daughter in NZ has taken ages to get there. It seems postal delays are rife everywhere. A x

      Delete
  5. Just the cutest blanket; thanks for including the meanings of the colors. That type of thing fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in Kim and for your comments. I find colour symbolism interesting and the choice of colours affect the way we feel. A x

      Delete
  6. Great photos as always, Amanda. Sorry about the postal woes. I never get stuff from my brother in Johannesburg until weeks (or even months) after he mails it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that it is a problem everywhere at present. I still haven't received the parcel my sister sent us on 8th December. A x

      Delete
  7. That blanket is adorable!!! The little bow really makes it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. There is something about little crochet bows that I particularly like. A x

      Delete
  8. What a sweet blanket. I've seen that pattern and I thought the same about tassels. I just don't think that they're the best idea for a baby blanket either.
    The post is crazy everywhere. I would be terrified to be mailing a payment for something. You just couldn't count on it arriving. Ever.
    And lastly, you are so blessed to live where you can see the ocean. I know I've said that before. We both miss the ocean terribly. It's -8F right now and snow everywhere. I long to walk on a warm beach somewhere. Anywhere! :-)
    I pray that you have a wonderful day and enjoy every moment of your sunshine and beaches.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy. Thanks you for your comments:-) I am really put out with the postal service lately! Very annoying! Sometimes friends in the UK say to me "but don't you miss the snow where you live" My responses is always the same "I do not!" I can admire a beautiful snowfall on the TV or from photographs here and for me that is sufficient. Sun,sea and beach is what I love! A x

      Delete
  9. I love, love, love that blanket. Clever you! Registered post sounds a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joy x. Well it is on its way now and hopefully it wont take longer than a month. A x

      Delete
  10. I love the blanket, it's fab, hope the recipient loves it too. We have, just this week, received three xmas cards from Australian relatives, posted early December - it's a global, rather than a local, problem, and will probably take quite a while to resolve. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for calling in Joy and for your kind comments. Global problem definitely tch! A x

      Delete
  11. your baby blanket is so adorable do you have another mailing company choice? here we can also go with ups or fedex to get packages mailed out out mail is going through pretty well, except for us I have packages get stuck in Kansas city one for two months.
    those cliff homes would give you gorgeous views-but as we get older we may need to be more practical for shopping etc. enjoy the rest of your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, There are courier companies that I could use but they are really expensive. Some are not reliable either. I would still love to live on the cliff tops overlooking the bay but it isn't practical at all for us now. It is a shame as we always thought to live in that area. A x

      Delete
  12. Fabulous blanket 😀 Mail here in Oz been so delayed and yes short staffed.
    Beautiful cliff outlook but that climb would do me in lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy, Many thanks for your kind comments. The parcel is on its way to Brisbane and I am holding my breath that it will arrive before baby is born. A x

      Delete
  13. That is a lovely blanket, the dog so cute with its ribbon. I think the mail is bad everywhere, my sister still hasn't her Christmas parcel I posted in November (NZ to Western Australia.)Your coastal views are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zana,Thank you for calling in. My sister who is in Queensland tells me she sent a parcel to her granddaughter for Christmas to NZ and it still hasn't arrived. It is obviously a global problem tch! A x

      Delete
  14. I love the blanket and your niece will too. Knowing the colour scheme of the nursery is a great help when making such a precious gift. It sounds like a good idea to send this special item by registered post so that you can track the mail journey. How lovely to go on coastal walks in the sunshine! Best wishes, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I 1ove your puppy b1anket!!! great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. My niece is animal/pets mad so I thought something animal orientated was the best :-). A x

      Delete
  16. As always so lovely reading your blog xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful C2C. I made a blanket for my great niece using filet with a dog pattern. My niece loves dogs and their surname is Barker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barker..really :-). Now that is a coincidence! I just hope it gets there on time! A x

      Delete
  18. That blanket is just adorable! Good idea to leave off the tassels, and to send it registered post.

    What lovely photos from your walk. It looks so nice and warm, especially from where I'm sitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so warm today though! 11º at present but sunny so I'll go for a walk midday to lap up some of that sun. I thought the tassels too fussy for a baby's blanket :-). A x

      Delete
  19. Your beautiful blue skies have cheered me up no end on a murky Shropshire morning. Thank you! Your blanket is gorgeous but I don't rely on registered post at the moment: I spent £37 to send two packages by special delivery, guaranteed the next morning, and one took four days and the other took seven. It's a nightmare at the moment. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for calling in Mrs T :-). That's a lot of money to pay out for a service you didn't get! It is obviously a global problem as everyone is complaining about the Postal delays! A x

      Delete
  20. Beautiful blanket, I´m sure it will be loved. The post is most erratic as the moment, we are waiting for a registered letter, taking ages. We have just renewed our PO box for another year, price has gone up but the service hasn´t lol. Happy house hunting, so many things to take into account. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Chrissie :-). It is crazy! I am still waiting for the parcel my sister sent me for Christmas on 8th December. A x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)