Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Wednesday 11 May 2022

Breakfast



I will pass on the "eating glitter" bit but I am convinced a good breakfast does certainly help me to shine!  I think most of us have heard the phrase at sometime or other that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I am inclined to agree with that and have always had an ample breakfast first thing before going off about my daily routine ,in fact ,if at anytime I have missed it I found I would begin to feel quite queasy by 10ish.    

When I say ample I don't mean a heavy substantial meal like a typical Full English breakfast(much as I love it!). 


You know... I have always thought...who has the time of a morning (Sundays perhaps) to dish up a full English breakfast before going to work? πŸ˜” Toast,cereals with fruit and of course a mug of tea or two is what I considered ample. 

I tried arduously to instil into my daughter the need to have a substantial breakfast of a morning. While she was under my thumb she had breakfast every morning before she left for school and later college. It usually consisted of a mug of cocoa and a small bowl of cereals with some fruit which she would swished around continuously hence a large portion of the cereals stuck to the side of the bowl. I'd say probably only four spoonfuls would have got eaten.  

As an adult she has slipped into her own routine which is having breakfast and elevenses together and mostly in a cafe.  

I have never had to worry about Sr P's breakfast as he always adhered to the Spanish custom which was to have his breakfast out at a local cafe with one exception that was during the Pandemic national lockdown. He found it extremely difficult not being able to go out for breakfast. There were constant moans and groans about the quality of the coffee I brewed for him! 

Time and the aging body changes things of course! I continue to have an ample breakfast but as I am on a high-fibre low cholesterol diet the buttered toast has gone and the milk in the cereals too. I eat three different types of fruit usually banana,grapes and apple slices sprinkled with oat flakes and nuts and mixed in with a low fat plain yogurt.  I allow myself one mug of tea twice a day. The latter was indeed difficult to reduce as I used to drink easily six cups of tea a day.  It's ok now though I got rid of that habit!   

   


Needless to say when my GD is staying with us I always make sure she has an ample breakfast first thing.
πŸ˜πŸ²πŸ˜‹


Relaxing, no rush, casual house hunting again.🏠

Two weekends ago during our usual Sunday outing we went for a stroll along the Albufereta beaches. The Albufereta is a small town very near to Alicante City and its beaches practically link up to the City's Postiguet beach.

Google image. Alicante city Postiguet Beach.





We had heard that there were several apartments for sale at those beaches so we thought we'd go that way and after all as you can see it really is a lovely area.  

























Peeking out from someone's balcony.




It was a disappointment though! 

We were quite put off because although the beaches and the coastline is wonderful and really beautiful, the beaches were a mess having been badly hit during the winter storms. Actually the condition of the beaches didn't really worry us because the council will be repairing all that very soon due to the return of tourism. However, the apartment blocks and different housing estates where there were apartments for sale were very shabby and quite dated. I could see why there were so many up for sale! 
In a couple of the housing estates there also seemed to have been some sort conflict with the local council where the council has stepped in and have demolished what we thought looked like illegal private access to certain beaches and also barriers put up impeding public access along that part of the coastline.   

We certainly wouldn't be interested in living somewhere like this!  Our golden years have to be lived comfortably without any stress.



Replies to previous post comments completed






  Happy blogging

Amanda 
🏊🏊🏊




25 comments:

  1. There are some lovely views in those photos but as you say, you don't need the stress. I am sure the right place will come along at the right time.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in no hurry Ellie :-). As you say the right place is out there somewhere waiting for us🏑

      Delete
  2. What lovely pictures what a shame about that lovely place, I to love a good fry up but Heath comes first x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a disappointment as the coastline and beaches are really beautiful. Indeed it does! A x

      Delete
  3. The photos held so much promise. Stress is not needed, I am sure you will find the perfect forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping by Lorraine. I am confident we will find our beach home one day🏝. A x

      Delete
  4. that's too bad about all the issues with that beach area-looks like a lovely spot for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely spot! Such a shame🀨. A x

      Delete
  5. It all looks so beautiful. We watch a British tv show called "Escape to the Winter Sun". Many times they are located in the Alicante area and I always think of you. It always looks like such a beautiful place. Of course, the show doesn't tell about the issues and problems. You definitely don't need stress in your retirement years.
    I rarely eat breakfast anymore and tend to fast until 1:00 or so. It is my favorite meal of the day though on the rare occasions that we eat it.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betsy. It is indeed a beautiful place but sometimes I think we don't appreciate it as we should. By we I mean "people"πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘§. Alicante city isn't so clean as that town I have posted about in my most recent post. People can be such pigs and have no respect for nature! A x

      Delete
  6. I just can not eat breakfast before at least 10am and even then can give it a miss - however, on weekdays when I am working, I do eat (with difficulty) a bowl muesli and it sticks on my throat! I can eat exactly the same meal several hours later with relish and joy - breakfast - shudder!
    And 'here here' to stress free living xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just like my sister :-) She has always found it difficult to eat a breakfast on workdays. She used to carry breakfast bars around with her to nibble for elevenses as she has to take medicine daily. Mind you a Sunday cooked breakfast was no problem as it was always a bit later in the morning. A x

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of a breakfast at a local cafe. Does Sr P have the same thing every day? I'm more of a brunch person. You certainly don't want issues in your retirement which is why we moved from a large body corporate (owners association thing) which had so many rules and regs to a free standing house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go out for breakfast too occasionally but they don't make a good cuppa of tea. It is more coffee and herbal teas here. I don't like coffee☕️ Sr P is a creature of habit and he has his coffee with toast and reads the morning newspaper every morning at the cafe he goes to. A x

      Delete
  8. Hope you find something you like for your retirement years. The beaches look lovely and would be great places to stroll after breakfast. My usual breakfast is a banana with peanut butter, a bowl of porridge or yogurt with fruit but on the weekend I usually have a cooked breakfast. No tea but definitely a big cup of freshly brewed coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my sort of breakfast...yum! I can't face a cooked breakfast here even at the weekend and it never tastes the same as what I can get back in the UK. I always have a cooked breakfast when I get back home to the UKπŸ˜€. A x

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos, stress is never good, but your forever home is out there. Probably pop up when you least expect it xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it probably will! We are in no real hurry as yet. A x

      Delete
  10. I don't blame you I wouldn't want any problems no matter how lovely the area, you will find the perfect home I'm sure of it. As for breakfast, I always made sure my 4 had a good breakfast too but now none of them do! I despair I really do, in fact my eldest doesn't eat until the evening on a working day, no wonder he's overweight and has had kidney stones. I eat breakfast everyday between 7 30 and 8am and I usually have overnight oats made with blueberries, oats and homemade fat free yogurt topped with crunched walnuts and maybe a drizzle of honey. I have about 3 mugs of tea a day and I can drink it with or without milk. I couldn't function without a good breakfast. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my sort of breakfast Linda... delicious! I really have to have my breakfast first thing even if I don't feel like it. It mucks me up for the rest of the day if I don't get a breakfast before i leave my house. A x

      Delete
  11. Beautiful area. Once folks buy and spruce the place up, then it might be more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great shame as it is so near the city which would be perfect. As the issues are being dealt with by the city council it may be worth our while to go back at a later date. It may not be a complete write off. A x

      Delete
  12. When I type here, the page goes super large. I have to be very careful when I make it smaller.
    A great breakfast makes for a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes stress free golden years. We have country home and city pad both no stairs lol Looks lovely but yes looks deceiving. Love a good breakfast but most days now Brunch πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  14. A big disappointment Wendy as it is right near the city and all amenities. The beaches were wonderful. We will go back at a later date and see if the issues have been sorted with the council. A x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)